cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cbrady
Community Member

What is the orange eye next to a gradebook item?

Jump to solution

Good morning,

What's this orange eye icon next to the gradebook item?  It's not next to the other test. I'm assuming it's the invisible icon, how do I disable it? I don't see an option when I click the drop down menu.

317344_pastedImage_1.png

Tags (4)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cbrady ...

In addition to the information you've received from  @lmoreira  and  @tlampley , I wanted to direct you to the latest Canvas Release Notes.  I'm not sure if you follow the Release Notes on a regular basis, but these new icons that you are seeing are covered in the latest Release Notes.  You can also watch a short video that accompanies this written document.  I hope this additional information will help, Christopher.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
lmoreira
Learner II

Hi  @cbrady ‌,

This is a new feature from Canvas' latest update. This icon means that your grades are hidden from your students. To post them, you need to click on the three dots next to the assignment's name and select "Post Grades". You can learn more about it here:

How do I post grades for an assignment in the New Gradebook?

Hope this helps!

cbrady
Community Member

Thanks! That wasn't something I setup. Looks like it's only affecting my tests, but not my other automatically graded publisher LMS quizzes and homework.

Yes! This new feature is behaving erratically. There is another question about the same problem and that's what they're saying over there. We have several teachers in our school that have gone crazy with this "feature".

tlampley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings  @cbrady !

And WELCOME to our Canvas Community!  It's a pleasure to make your virtual acquaintance!

In addition to our knowledgeable colleague's answer, I wanted to inform you that Instructure has confirmed a bug with the implementation of their latest update (July 15, 2019) to this convenient and noteworthy feature.

In summary, there are some "classic" quizzes, where the grading is being hidden from students, by default.

I created a walkthrough, providing our instructors with a "band-aid", until Tier 2 support at Instructure can resolve the setback.

Here's a link for that: 2019-07-16_Grade Posting Policy Glitch Workaround.pdf - Google Drive 

And that is truly all it is Sir: a setback.  The team at Instructure works diligently to discover and resolve bugs such as these.  In fact, one such avenue for development and resolution is: THIS WONDERFUL COMMUNITY!

I hope this proves helpful!

Again, nice to meet you  @cbrady   and   @lmoreira  

Have a MARVELOUS Day!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @cbrady ...

In addition to the information you've received from  @lmoreira  and  @tlampley , I wanted to direct you to the latest Canvas Release Notes.  I'm not sure if you follow the Release Notes on a regular basis, but these new icons that you are seeing are covered in the latest Release Notes.  You can also watch a short video that accompanies this written document.  I hope this additional information will help, Christopher.

View solution in original post

tlampley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings  @chofer  

Totally missed that Sir!  Well, that's why we're a COMMUNITY!

Thanks and Take Care! Smiley Happy

tlampley
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Greetings All!

Please view the following link, for the latest regarding this issue:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-16958-canvas-release-notes-2019-07-13#jive_content_id_New_G...

Have a SUPER Day!

cunninghama
Explorer III

Can students still see feedback?  This would be great in giving students feedback and giving them a chance to relearn based on the feedback without seeing their grade.  This way, kids who had an acceptable (to them) grade would still learn from the feedback instead of ignoring it.