What is the purpose of "Lock questions after answering"

Jump to solution
asiddiq
Community Novice
Hello. 
Does "Lock questions after answering" below "Show one question at a time" in Classic Quiz  allow students to skip questions they may need more time answering and only return to them after answering questions the ones they can answer in a short period of time. 
It seems like it should right?  Lock questions after answering so if the question isn't answered it's not locked and it could be returned to?
Thanks Smiley Happy
2 Solutions
James
Community Champion

@asiddiq  

No, it means the students cannot return to the question later to answer.

According to a lesson from the Canvas Instructor Guide, it says "Questions will be locked even if a student clicks the Next button without answering the question." See What options can I set in a quiz?  for the full lesson.

Another lesson, How can I create a quiz where students only see one question at a time?  explains "If you want to keep your students from returning to a previous question during the quiz, click the Lock questions after answering checkbox"

I also recommend Quiz Settings to Maximize Security 

View solution in original post

asiddiq
Community Novice
Author

Firstly, the label "Lock questions after answering" is misleading. When I initially asked for help with how I wanted questions set (for students to see questions one at a time and only return to unanswered questions due to challenging questions) I was told to use this option. But this is not the case.

All questions using this option are locked, not just the answered ones and leaving a question blank should not be considered answering because as you said a student may mistakenly hit next or at least claim to do so.

The other option currently available is to allow students to return to any question since all questions are visible to the right of the screen. This can increase the chance of unwelcome student collaboration.

A third option should be created which is moderate. Canvas should offer the option for instructors to set questions visible one at a time and for students to only be permitted to return to the ones left blank.

Thanks.

View solution in original post