cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
audrey_crawford
Explorer III

What is the "email" folder in the Files section of a new course?

Jump to solution

In a new Canvas course, the content of which was copied from a previous Canvas course, there is a folder called "email" in the Files section. What is that folder for? Can I delete it?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Kona,

The course content was copied from a previous course. The content of the previous course was imported from a Moodle backup. (Sorry - I just found this out. I confess that I am helping a colleague, who is the one who built the course.)

I'm surprised that the import copied student data.

We'd just like to delete the "email" folder, which is making the file list very long. If this is not something from Canvas, then I'd like to assume we can delete the folder.

Thanks for your help,

Audrey

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@audrey_crawford ,

Did you copy or have this course copied from someone else?  I would assume that folder was created by the previous course designer.  Email (or conversations) do not appear in a specific course.  They are all contained within the Inbox tool in Canvas.

Robbie

Hi Robbie,

The course was copied from a course I taught last semester using the "import content into this course" function. The "email" folder is also present in the original course in the Files section. There are numerous folders within the "email" folder. The contents of the folders look like assignment submissions.

Audrey

Did you inherit or get the course content from someone or your College? I just checked my own course and the only folders and files I have in my course "Files" are ones I've personally uploaded to the course. It is not normal or standard to have an Email folder with assignment submissions in it. To me this sounds like someone created an "Email" folder and when students emailed the person assignment submissions they uploaded the files there.

Hi Kona,

The course content was copied from a previous course. The content of the previous course was imported from a Moodle backup. (Sorry - I just found this out. I confess that I am helping a colleague, who is the one who built the course.)

I'm surprised that the import copied student data.

We'd just like to delete the "email" folder, which is making the file list very long. If this is not something from Canvas, then I'd like to assume we can delete the folder.

Thanks for your help,

Audrey

View solution in original post

Yep, you should be able to delete this folder with no negative repercussions. 

We'll try it.

Many thanks for your help,

Audrey