What is the "real" difference between "Submit on Paper" and "no Submission"

Jump to solution
tmckamey
Community Explorer

Besides informing the student of submission expectations, what is the difference when choosing between these two options in Canvas? I can't find this information. The Canvas Guide (as usual) is way to basic. 

The reason I have this question is I never know what to choose when I have an external tool that I want to use that is not integrated into Canvas and does not get recognized by Canvas even when I choose that option (basically that option is worthless to me because it requires that Canvas can recognize the tool). I would love to be able to choose "External option" and either just give any link that I want or Canvas not require a link...I can put that in the assignment description. At least that would be the most authentic way students would know they need to go to another link to do the assignment.

Now the other thing that I want students to do is click on something in Canvas to let me know they've done the assignment in the external tool. I've used to just be able to pick "on paper" (i thought) and they would have a "submit" button which would notify me. But that doesn't seem to be the case, or I remember wrong. 

The best work around I've seen from reading some other posts is that I should just choose "submit online" and instruct students to just use the textbox to say they did the assignment in my external tool, but it would be nice if we didn't have to jump through all these hoops. 

So this circles me back to my question. Since I can't select "external tool" and get what I want out of it, I'd like to be able to choose some option that allows students to click "submit" in Canvas to let me know they've done it. Submit "on paper" is the closest thing. I feel like "no submission" would be misleading to students, and surely there would be no "submit" button in that case. But all of this got me wondering, what is even the difference between those two options other than the words they say? 

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
scottdennis
Instructure
Instructure

Hi @tmckamey,

First I will say that Canvas doesn't have a submission type for when you want the student to turn something in, but not on paper and not via Canvas but instead via an external tool that you'd really rather have show up directly in Canvas when it doesn't.  😂  To be serious, I get how frustrating it can be when an external tool doesn't integrate the way it should.

The only difference between 'No Submission' and 'On Paper" is that with the latter you want students in a hybrid or maybe correspondence course to understand that they are expended to physically hand in an assignment vs 'No Submission' where you are maybe evaluating a live performance or other in lieu of an assignment submission.  Maybe in the 13 years, give or take, since this distinction was designed it has become a bit archaic. Maybe now it should be 'No Submission' vs 'Turned in Outside Canvas' or something equally more inclusive.  What do you think?

View solution in original post