cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

What is the rationale for Sortable Name being used for Conferences and Collaborations (rather than display name, as elsewhere)

We've noticed that the Conferences and Collaborations appear to differ from other locations in Canvas in using the Sortable name field to list students, rather than display name.

This is problematic for us, as, to provide a workaround to another institutional requirement, we've made use of the sortable name field to show an assessment candidate ref number (which we need to see in the gradebook).

I just wondered whether there was a particular rationale for using sortable name in Conferences and Collaborations, to inform any requests/ideas we put forward to amend this.

Ideally, we would have the choice of what name field is used for different activity types (an extension of the "Gradebook - list students by sortable name" feature option), to give us a bit more flexibility / wriggle room in how we fit Canvas to our institutional practice.  

0 Kudos
1 Reply
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

a.coombs@sussex.ac.uk,

First, I want to apologize for your question sitting in the community for so long without a response.

Second, it looks like you have stumped the Canvas Community.  Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.

Robbie