cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lewallena
Community Member

When I view student assignments on Speed Grader using my ipad, I see a button that says "Launch External Tool." How can I just directly see the Google doc that they embedded?

I set up the assignment as submission type "Text Entry." The students clicked the drive icon on their screens when they were ready to submit. Then they selected the document and clicked "Embed."

On my ipad, I can get to their documents by clicking on the "Launch External Tool" button on each of their submissions in Speed Grader, but I don't want to have to launch their doc in another screen. I want it to appear automatically embedded so I can swipe from document to document.

Thank you for your help!!

4 Replies
rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lewallena ‌,

It sounds like the assignment is setup to be submitted using Google and not a Text Entry or File Upload. If you can share the settings screen of your assignment, that would be very helpful. 

As for SpeedGrader, are you using the Canvas Teacher app or SpeedGrader on the mobile web browser? 

I would suggest the following for setting up your assignment. This should get the document to open in SpeedGrader:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-6468 

Let me know if this helps. Thanks. 

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @lewallena ...

I have been reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on August 23, 2018.  It looks as though  @rseilham  replied to you later that morning.  Have you had an opportunity to review Ryan's response?  It looks like he's got some additional questions for clarification.  If you could please come back to help answer those questions, that would be great!  Or, if you've been able to find a solution to the question you asked back in August, would you mind coming back to this topic to provide an update for us...sharing what you have found?  Also, another option is if you feel Ryan has helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark his response as "Correct".  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you and because there hasn't been any new activity in this topic for over four months, but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Angela.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.

lewallena
Community Member

If you click the above linked "Grade a Google Doc Using SpeedGrader," you will see that Step 4 is "click the raw URL." 

I would like for the document to appear without clicking the raw URL.

Google Classroom allows me to see thumbnails of all of my students' documents on one screen. With one click I can check in on any student whose progress I want to check (or whose paper doesn't look long enough), and then with one click be back on the thumbnails screen.

I see possibilities for Canvas to be useful, but as an ELAR teacher, I went back to using Classroom because Canvas lacks this feature.

@lewallena ‌, 

Thanks for the additional detail. I can see your use case for viewing the thumbnails and seeing the student's progress. I would suggest you create a Feature Idea and let the community vote and add their input. There are plenty of schools here that use Google and Canvas that would probably benefit. 

You can learn more about creating a Canvas Feature Idea at the following:

https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-14904-75187841184