When creating rubric, no warning that not saved

Jump to solution
bequalls
Community Member

I'm an instructor who was just putting the finishing touches on a new rubric for a Canvas assignment. Then I clicked the assignment's "edit" button to check on something, but when I went back to the assignment page again using my browser's back button my rubric had disappeared. Normally Canvas warns me if I'm trying to navigate off an unsaved page when creating assignments, discussion post prompts, etc. Why is there no warning about the rubric not being saved? I didn't realize I had to hit "Create Rubric" to save it, thought there was some kind of autosaving happening. Has this happened to others? Is there an obvious way I can go and recapture the rubric I was making earlier?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, @bequalls ...

Unfortunately, it sounds like you may have lost the rubric that you were making.  That's a bummer, I know.  But yes, if you are making a rubric by hand, then you would need to click on that "Create Rubric" button to save the rubric.  Once you click on that button, you will be able to find that rubric in the "Rubrics" course navigation button as well.  How do I manage rubrics in a course? - Canvas Community

Another option for you to consider, though, is a "Canvancement" (Canvas Enhancement) created by @James which allows you to import an entire rubric into Canvas via an Excel spreadsheet.  I use it all the time, and it has saved me hours upon hours of time building rubrics.  Importing Rubrics from a Spreadsheet - Canvas Community  Once you use James' tool to import from a spreadsheet, then you can assign that rubric to your assignment.  How do I add a rubric to an assignment? - Canvas Community

I hope these resources will be of help to you.  Sing out if you have any other questions about this...thanks!  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post