cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

When students email instead of 'submit'

Occasionally, a student will email me an assignment instead of submitting it in Canvas. Since I'm 'addicted' to both the grading rubric and annotated grading I'm wondering if there is a way for ME to submit the assignment so that I can grade in Canvas.

4 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi jeffrey.dowd@rentonschools.us‌,

This also happens to me and I really wish there was a way to do this! As far as I know, there is not currently a way to submit for a student, but there is currently an idea submission that is on Product Radar: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1124-submit-an-assignment-on-behalf-of-a-student" modifiedtitl....

If it helps, I'll share my workflow for dealing with submissions like this:

When a student needs to submit something late and I can't immediately change the deadline for them, I usually have them comment on the assignment in Canvas from their submission page. (They can access this view of the assignment by going to Grades for your course and then clicking on the particular assignment.) If it's a link they can just paste the link in the box. While I don't use it often, I do believe that students can also attach files to a comment submission.

I have Submission Comments turned on in my notification settings so that I always get an email when they submit it, with a link to "click here to review the submission." I then click this link and it opens the submission view, where I can easily access the assignment and put in a grade, even on a rubric.

The only place this doesn't work is when a student comments to remind me to excuse them due to absences, etc because typing "EX" doesn't seem to work from the assignment submission page.

Hope that helps!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Jeff Dowd,

I believe the best way to address this is in the course syllabus. Clearly define your expectations of following the instructions for each Assignment in Canvas and how to submit their work, making sure that the instructions are clear and functional. This allows you to hold the students accountable (accountability - one of our Institutional core values), and adjusting their grade accordingly. If you then receive email attachments as submissions instead of receiving it via Canvas as instructed, you can hand input the appropriate grade directly into the gradebook (or via Speedgrader with a comment) for that student and that assignment. This allows you, as the instructor, to more effectively manage your course, fully utilizing the built in Canvas features, and not have to spend extra time facilitating students that operate outside of your posted instructions.

Highlighted

Earl,

I'm sorry but I have to laugh....you are obviously not working with freshmen in high school.  IF you know of a way to make them read instructions and follow them, I'm all ears.  I mean this kindly!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

jeffrey.dowd@rentonschools.us,

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels