cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lnickerson
Community Member

When will we be able to use the writing capabilies on the Web Version of Canvas?

There are some features on the Canvas Teacher App that is not available on the web version (specially being able to write or mark on documents). I currently have a Microsoft Surface for my work computer. I have 2 questions.

1. Is there a Canvas app for windows that I can download on my Surface?

2. Are there plans to have the writing and marking capabilities available on the web version? Our school has classroom sets of Chromebooks & would love our students to be able to do all assignments and show their work using the writing feature in Canvas (I teach high school math so using the keyboard alone is not feasible).

2 Replies
klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi!

Since you initially asked your question, there have been a few updates in Canvas! I hope they help you.

On 2019-02-16https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/8810-use-of-stylus-with-docviewer was added to Canvas. Then, there was a Feature Idea open for voting that was included in the 2019-05-11 Release Notes (https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/14045-improving-stylus-functionality-in-docviewer" modifiedtit...)

Did these additions help you with your Surface and Chromebooks?

With the Chromebooks, do your students have the ability to install the Canvas Student app from Google Play? They could use the annotation features that way... Let me know if that's an option, and I can look into some additional details!

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, lnickerson...

I'm reviewing some of the older questions here in the Canvas Community, and I stumbled upon your question.  I wanted to check in with you because I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted your question on February 22, 2019.  I see that  @klundstrum  was able to provide you with some feedback on August 8, 2019.  Have you had a chance to review her comments?  If so, did her feedback help to answer your question?  If so, please feel free to click on the "Mark Correct" button next to her response.  However, if you are still looking for some help from members of the Community, please let us know that, too, by posting a note below so that someone from the Community might be able to assist you.  For the time being, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because we've not heard back from you in over seven months.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's okay with you, Lisa.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.