Where & How do I Put my PowerPoints?

Jump to solution
malia_molina
Community Participant

I use PowerPoint lectures in my face-to-face classes. I know how to upload PDF's to the files section. But now, transitioning to online teaching, where do I put a proper PowerPoint? In Pages? As a PDF full page? Would love to make it a narrated video, but I think that's beyond me at this point...

I'm using modules and would like students to have an easy click experience. Don't know what to do.

Also, how do I put a PowerPoint that is just the slides and doesn't include my notes?

Thank you, Canvas Community! You've been so generous and helpful! 

1 Solution
jwadec
Community Contributor

Hi,  @malia_molina ‌ and welcome to the Canvas community.

It's great that you are already using modules! Just in case you need, here is a great guide on how to add new modules: How do I add a module? 

Here is my recommendation: Hide menu items that you do not plan to use by going to Settings -> Navigation. Select the three dots next to each item and Disable. Once you have the menu the way you like, select Save. Here is a great guide on how to simplify the course menu with only the items you plan to use: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12933-415257079 

I typically disable the following: Quizzes, Pages, Files, Chat, and Outcomes. Then I add any assignments, quizzes, pages, or files to weekly modules.

Once you get a module in place, you can add files, quizzes, pages, assignments etc. by selecting the plus sign next to the module. This handy guide will explain it a lot better than I: How do I add assignment types, pages, and files as module items?

You can then load the PowerPoint as a file in the module. To ensure that your notes are not included, I would go to PowerPoint and choose the Save-As option. Select PDF as the file type. Then load that PDF version in the course.

342118_save-as.jpg

The last tidbit is don't forget to publish! How do I publish or unpublish a module as an instructor? 

View solution in original post