Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
daniellopez1
Community Member

Where can I get developer keys?

Jump to solution

Trying to get developer keys to try out the 

Grade Passback Tools - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation 

It seems it doesn't accepts a basic authentication with just the access_token, but you do have to provide both the oauth_key and oauth_secret

I can't find the option in my account so I guess is not enabled?

How do I manage developer keys for an account? 

I send a ticket to canvas but I need to finish a demo for Friday Smiley Sad

thank you Smiley Happy

Tags (2)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
tross
Explorer II

You have to have admin rights for your Canvas instance to get Developer Keys.  When I go to my admin menu for my account, the Developer Key option is on the Navigation Menu.  If you are not the admin, you will have to have your admin get the key for you.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
tross
Explorer II

You have to have admin rights for your Canvas instance to get Developer Keys.  When I go to my admin menu for my account, the Developer Key option is on the Navigation Menu.  If you are not the admin, you will have to have your admin get the key for you.

View solution in original post

It seems the teacher free account doesn't have admin rights, therefore I can't have dev keys Smiley Sad bummer

pklove
Learner II

The Grade Passback link you have above is an LTI feature.  It has nothing to do with API calls, so you do not need a developer key or token.

When the LTI is launched as an assignment external tool, it has the ability to do the grade passback.   This is not an API call, but is a feature of LTI.

Maybe I'm missing something then?

How do I post the data back to canvas?

For the Content editor LTI all I did was to redirect to the return url

https://canvas.instructure.com/courses/1119572/external_content/success/external_tool_dialog

With some parameters

242587_pastedImage_1.png

But for the grading Passback tool is not working that way

From the documentation

The tool can then send grading information back to Canvas.

How?

Tools can know that they have been launched in a graded context because an additional parameter is sent across

My lis_outcome_service_url:https://canvas.instructure.com/api/lti/v1/tools/149507/grade_passback

This seems to be a POST url. If I try to access it via GET I get a Page not found.

If the external tool wants to supply these values, it can augment the POX sent with the grading value

What does this mean? It has a XML file that you have to build and everything

Text

Add a resultData node with a text node of plain text in the same encoding as the rest of the document within it like this:

what?

I think I'm missing something but I can't find what it is Smiley Sad

Thanks!

pklove
Learner II

To send a grade back from your tool to Canvas, you POST some XML to the lis_outcome_service_url.

This is all as per the LTI specs.  Eg., Learning Tools Interoperability v1.1 Implementation Guide | IMS Global Learning Consortium 

Note that the XML has to be sent using OAuth body signing.

What programming language are you using?  The easiest thing is to see if there is a library or code that already supports the LTI grade return, or failing that, just the OAuth stuff.

Canvas has some extensions, most of Grade Passback Tools - Canvas LMS REST API Documentation  is outlining these extensions.

We are using PHP with Laravel as a framework.