Highlighted
Community Member

Where did the DocViewer toolbar go?

Jump to solution

The DocViewer toolbar for Speedgrader is not showing up in my updated Canvas. It worked fine last quarter but has now disappeared. See attached photo. 

How do I annotate student files?  

Lane 

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi lane.morgan@wwu.edu
Are you seeing the annotations toolbar in any student submissions, for example those that you've marked previously and the toolbar had been visible when you did the marking? Annotations are only available on certain submission types/file types. In your screenshot it looks like the student submitted via the text entry box rather than uploading a file, and with text entry submissions the annotations toolbar is not usually available for the teacher. Try looking through some old submissions to find an assignment where a student uploaded a Word document, I would expect the toolbar to appear for that type of submission.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi lane.morgan@wwu.edu
Are you seeing the annotations toolbar in any student submissions, for example those that you've marked previously and the toolbar had been visible when you did the marking? Annotations are only available on certain submission types/file types. In your screenshot it looks like the student submitted via the text entry box rather than uploading a file, and with text entry submissions the annotations toolbar is not usually available for the teacher. Try looking through some old submissions to find an assignment where a student uploaded a Word document, I would expect the toolbar to appear for that type of submission.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Yep, It looks like that's the difference. This is the first assignment of the quarter, so I don't have a base for comparison with the same course since the updates. But last quarter they had to upload their submission from another part of Canvas, and I didn't realize that was a factor in the availability of the tool bar.

Thanks,

Lane

Highlighted
Community Member

I am having the same problem. It is not related to file type submissions (they all do Word uploads which work fine in the several years I've now used Canvas). My Docviewer editing menu seems to have disappeared, at least according to my academic tech team, because I set the assignment to be "peer review"ed. Does this make sense, i.e. is Docviewer editing disabled when assignments are set to "peer review"? If so, this seems counterintuitive to disable tools that would allow closer textual scrutiny from both instructors and students. Please, help, if you or anyone can!

Casey Golomski

University of New Hampshire

0 Kudos