cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Where do I find URL for hidden files?

Jump to solution

I am working my way through the Files feature and I am stumped by the directions that say "Users can edit permissions for files, including setting the state of the file (published or unpublished), make files available to students who have the link, or schedule availability dates for the files."  I can easily see how to restrict the file, but I do not see where I find the "link" to share with students.

Thanks,

Heidi

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Interesting, when I click on the file, it opens for me and doesn't automatically download. Could be the browser you're using compared to the one I'm using (Firefox). Regardless, you can get the URL by clicking on the eye icon (see below). And yes, the URL does have the preview in the name.

EyeIcon.png

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

heidi1@vt.edu, what I did to get the link was click on the file and open it from my Files area. The URL at the top of the page is the link that you can give students to have them access the document. You can also do this by clicking on the document and clicking the "View" button (looks like an eye) at the top of the file page.

This information is also available on this guide - How do I preview a file as an instructor? - "The preview displays the file and file information details, as well as a link to download the file."

Does this help answer your question?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

Oh, ok. So, the URL that is generated with "preview" in the name is the

link to share? I see that that will work for me. However, I have not been

able to figure out how to click on the file and get a URL. When I click on

the file, the file downloads and/or opens, but does not present with a URL

anywhere...that I can see.

Thanks,

Heidi

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Interesting, when I click on the file, it opens for me and doesn't automatically download. Could be the browser you're using compared to the one I'm using (Firefox). Regardless, you can get the URL by clicking on the eye icon (see below). And yes, the URL does have the preview in the name.

EyeIcon.png

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

I will use the "preview" option. However, for the record, I tried clicking

on the file in Chrome and FF and in both cases, the file downloaded. It

might be a setting in the browser or perhaps it was the file type (in this

case.mp4).

As long as I have a work around, I'm good.

Heidi

On Mon, Jun 8, 2015 at 3:34 PM, kona@richland.edu <instructure@jiveon.com>

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

heidi1@vt.edu​...

Not really an answer to your question, but I am going to tag your question with keywords and slightly modify your subject line from "YRL" to "URL" so that people can find your posting easier if they have a similar question.  Hope this is ok with you!

Highlighted
Community Member

hah, thanks for noticing and fixing.

Thanks

Highlighted

YoureWelcome.jpg