cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Where to post URLs within Canvas?

Is there a place in Canvas to provide hyperlinks to students?  As one example, there is an excellent site at another university that provides extensive information that is relevant to my course.  I would like a place in Canvas where I can post the url for that site.

DAK

4 Replies
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, dakelt@ucdavis.edu Welcome  to the Canvas Community! You can add a hyperlink to a URL anywhere the Rich Content Editor appears--which is pretty much everywhere. Smiley Happy  Because of this, Canvas doesn't have a designated spot for links or URLs; it's not necessary. Many teachers and instructional designers choose to designate a page for this purpose, and there are many ways to design beautiful pages that direct students to helpful resources.

In addition, you can add a link to an external website in a module.

So for example, combining these possibilities, you can design your course using modules for each topic or section of the course, and then either drop the appropriate URLs for that topic into the module or drop the page with the associated URLs into that module.

There are many ways to associate content with assessment, and we hope you'll join the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/higher-ed?sr=search&searchId=b8fa951d-7ac8-4e80-abed-1bc1197e...‌ and perhaps even thehttps://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers?sr=search&searchId=1ef21c8e-aae5-48cb-980a-8ccfad0c...‌ for examples of beautiful and functional design. To join a group, click on the link to the group and select Join Group from the Actions dropdown that appears at the upper right of the group home page.

Community Coach
Community Coach

dakelt@ucdavis.edu, as a follow-up to stefaniesanders‌ post, here are some examples from my course of where I've added links (URL's) to external websites/information.

Module Example - How do I add an external URL as a module item? 

226240_URL to Module.png

Page Example - How do I edit a page in a course? & How do I create a hyperlink in the Rich Content Editor? 

226265_PageExample.png

Discussion Example - How do I edit a discussion in a course? & How do I create a hyperlink in the Rich Content Editor? 

226266_DiscussionExample.png

In addition, you could add an external link/URL to an Assignment, Quiz, or an Announcement by inserting it via the rich content editor.

Hope this helps!

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dakelt@ucdavis.edu‌...

It's been almost two months since you first posted this question in the Canvas Community, and we've not heard from you since.  So, I thought I would check in with you to see if you've had a chance to review the responses from stefaniesanders‌ and kona@richland.edu‌.  Did either of the respones help to answer your question?  Or, do you still have questions about how to add URLs to a course?  If you feel that one of the above responses helped to answer your question, please go ahead and mark it as "Correct".  However, if you still have questions, please post a message below so that members of the Canvas Community can continue to help you.  For now, I am going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered" because there hasn't been any new activity in this thread for quite a while.  However, that won't prevent you or others from posting additional replies below.  I hope that's okay with you.  Looking forward to hearing from you soon, Douglas!

Surveyor

For whatever reason, those URLS are not active in Canvas Email and I see no RichText offering.