Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Which quiz is the copy?

Jump to solution

Hello, Canvas wizards and warlocks —

Trying to duplicate a quiz—specifically trying to turn 1 quiz into 10 quizzes—and struggling with overwriting. Two questions:

1 - After I duplicate a quiz via the Import Course Content trick, how do I determine which quiz is the copy (so that the next time I make a copy I can copy the copy)?

2 - Is this even possible or do I have a flawed premise, i.e. making a clone of a clone of a clone. Whatever I'm doing certainly ain't working.

3 - I have another course I can use to pass the quizzes back and forth (import a quiz from course 1 into course 2, change quiz in course 2, send quiz back to course 1) but I can't seem to make that work well, either. Is there some awesome way to use a second course to accomplish this?

Thanks a bunch.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bradhorn, hey old friend! 😉

The best way to tell which quiz is which is to go to the quiz page and mouse over a quiz. On the bottom left of the page you should see the URL for the specific quiz (you can also get this by opening the quiz and looking at the URL). Write down the unique number for this quiz - Ex: https://richland.instructure.com/courses/73XXXX/quizzes/4005035  <-- the 4005035 is the unique number for this quiz. After you make your copy (import the quiz back into the same course) look at the quiz number and you'll be able to tell which is the copy and which is the original quiz. Change the name of the copy and then make your new copy of the copy by importing the copy back into the same course. Doing this I was (just this afternoon) able to make 10 copies of a quiz in a semi-timely fashion. And no, there isn't a good way to make copies by passing back and forth between two courses. If you need these quizzes in both courses it's better to do make the copies in one course and then copy as many of the copies as you need over into the second course (Does that even make sense? It seems like I'm using the word copy too many times!).

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

15 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

bradhorn, hey old friend! 😉

The best way to tell which quiz is which is to go to the quiz page and mouse over a quiz. On the bottom left of the page you should see the URL for the specific quiz (you can also get this by opening the quiz and looking at the URL). Write down the unique number for this quiz - Ex: https://richland.instructure.com/courses/73XXXX/quizzes/4005035  <-- the 4005035 is the unique number for this quiz. After you make your copy (import the quiz back into the same course) look at the quiz number and you'll be able to tell which is the copy and which is the original quiz. Change the name of the copy and then make your new copy of the copy by importing the copy back into the same course. Doing this I was (just this afternoon) able to make 10 copies of a quiz in a semi-timely fashion. And no, there isn't a good way to make copies by passing back and forth between two courses. If you need these quizzes in both courses it's better to do make the copies in one course and then copy as many of the copies as you need over into the second course (Does that even make sense? It seems like I'm using the word copy too many times!).

Hope this helps!

Kona

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Goodness gracious, what would I do without you?! I never (and I mean NEVER) would've figured this out on my own.

Highlighted

We would all be lost without kona@richland.edu‌. Smiley Wink

Highlighted

Thanks and right back at you stefaniesanders‌! 🙂

Highlighted

No problem, it's the power of the Community! It's amazing how much I've learned over the years and continue to learn each day!! Just happy to pass the helping and learning along!

Highlighted

Thank you for the great response!

Highlighted

eggste@holmen.k12.wi.us‌ - have you tried this idea for duplicating quizzes?

Highlighted

Hi, Kona.

I know that this question is a little outside this thread, but the function of copying / importing a quiz no longer functions for me the way it is supposed to.  The imported item does not wind up in the imported assignments or quizzes grouping and actually seems to put the imported copy in place of the original (or does nothing).  Suggestions?

Rick

Highlighted

rswengel@perryschools.org, sorry I missed your question! I just tested this and it seems to be working for me. To be clear what I did was go into a course, go to import content, selected the course I was currently working in, selected the option to select specific content, went in and picked the quiz I wanted copied, and then once it was finished I had two copies of the quiz.