cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Who is in charge of spelling?

Jump to solution

my name is mispelled in settings and canvas help directed me to the engineering site saying they cannot correct it.  When a name ends in an "s" the proper way to make it plural or possessive is to just add an apostrophe.  It is incorrect to add an apostrophe and another s.  Please help.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, daniel_peters@nymc.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! The punctuation displayed in your screenshot is the correct and accepted (indeed, preferred) usage—and the reason I know this is that when my masters' thesis went into editorial review I had to change how I punctuated the possessive of a proper name ending in "s" in every single instance, so I had it drummed into me. Smiley Happy

From the Q&A on the Chicago Style website:

Q. When indicating possession of a word that ends in s, is it correct to repeat the s after using an apostrophe? For example, which is correct: “Dickens’ novel” or “Dickens’s novel”?

A. Either is correct, though we prefer the latter. Please consult 7.15–18 for a full discussion of the rules for forming the possessive of proper nouns. For a discussion of the alternative practice of simply adding an apostrophe to form the possessive of proper nouns ending in s, see paragraph 7.21.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hello, daniel_peters@nymc.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community! The punctuation displayed in your screenshot is the correct and accepted (indeed, preferred) usage—and the reason I know this is that when my masters' thesis went into editorial review I had to change how I punctuated the possessive of a proper name ending in "s" in every single instance, so I had it drummed into me. Smiley Happy

From the Q&A on the Chicago Style website:

Q. When indicating possession of a word that ends in s, is it correct to repeat the s after using an apostrophe? For example, which is correct: “Dickens’ novel” or “Dickens’s novel”?

A. Either is correct, though we prefer the latter. Please consult 7.15–18 for a full discussion of the rules for forming the possessive of proper nouns. For a discussion of the alternative practice of simply adding an apostrophe to form the possessive of proper nouns ending in s, see paragraph 7.21.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

With all due respect, I do not agree.  In your response, you write " masters' " not "masters's"  The reference you cite states that either is correct to which I do not agree.  Regardless, I have been spelling my name the way I learned to in the '60's, and had it drilled into my head that the only acceptable way to make the possessive was with just an apostrophe.  

Highlighted

But wait, shouldn't it be Master's Degree anyway?

Highlighted

Good point, daniel_peters@nymc.edu‌; if we ever had the need to codify that into Canvas, when speaking generically we would do so as "master's degree" (lower case), and if we were to refer to a specific degree, we would write Master of Arts or Master of Science (singular, and not possessive).

0 Kudos
Highlighted

In reply to daniel_peters@nymc.edu's comment:

Much has changed since the 60s. For example, we are no longer to type two spaces after a period. Other changes include the treatment of possessives of words ending in s. Here are a few sites that I found on this topic (they do not all agree):

Possessive of Proper Names Ending in S 

APA Style Blog: Forming Possessives With Singular Names 

Possessive with Names Ending in s: How to Form It 

http://grammarist.com/style/last-names/ 

Apostrophe Catastrophe (Part Two) | Grammar Girl 

No one is "in charge" of spelling or grammar in the English language. Unlike say French or Spanish or many other languages, English does not have an official language regulator. Our language is fluid and unbound. We rely on common usage and style guides to provide counsel on how to deal with thorny issues, but there is no national or international authority to dictate our language. When in doubt, I, like sanders@indiana.edu,‌ turn to the Chicago Manual of Style (CMOS) first, but that is a preference, but the absolute truth.

Highlighted

nr2522@columbia.edu

"No one is "in charge" of spelling or grammar in the English language. Unlike say French or Spanish or many other languages, English does not have an official language regulator. Our language is fluid and unbound."

Yes, somehow our founding fathers got this one very right.

Kelley

Highlighted

First, thank you.  Next, by in charge of spelling I was specifically referring to someone at Canvas who could correct misspellings, not any official Guardian of the English language.  Next, two spaces after a period, forever.  It makes things much easier to read and allows one to easily tell the difference between a comma and a period, or, a sentence fragment from a new sentence.  Anything else is in deference to things like spell check, etc.  Other things can be done, but, as you said, anything else is just a recommendation.  For me, all I was trying to do was find someone at Canvas who could correct the spelling of my name, as I was taught to spell it, within the boundaries of what is acceptable, which it is.  Canvas does not allow me to spell my own name, and, the only means to get any traction was to open it up to a forum so people could "vote" on how to spell my name.  Say what you will, I would never infringe upon someone's right to spell their own name nor would I impose my version of how I thought it should be spelled.  I think the whole process is ridiculous.  So, in conclusion, please help me so Canvas will let me spell my name correctly.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

daniel_peters@nymc.edu‌, the names of students as they appear in Canvas are populated by the school according to how the information is recorded at the school's registrar. For a correction to the spelling of your last name, please contact your school's IT Department so someone there can investigate this for you. I was able to find contact information on the website: Information Technology : New York Medical College | Touro College , or if you would like to contact the registrar directly to have the record corrected, here's another link: Registrar : New York Medical College | Touro College 

Highlighted

...and, daniel_peters@nymc.edu, since a kind Community member has brought it to my attention that you are a faculty member, I found a contact at the school that might be able to provide additional assistance on the spelling issue: Faculty Records : New York Medical College | Touro College  

Labels