cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
andres_balanta
Community Member

Why Preview annotations are not shown on Canvas App?

Jump to solution

My Students have MacBook Airs. I give them assignments in PDF format and they complete them using Preview for Mac. It's the easy way I have found to write on PDFs. When I check the assignments, they all come through with the answers they type on the PDF. However, when I use the Canvas App for Ipads to check the assignments none of the annotations are shown. The first image is a screenshot from my IPAD the second one is the desktop version. I want to use the Ipad version because I can use my pen and it is easy to make notes with the Ipad pen. Any help will be highly appreciated. 

270744_IMG_8BBE9BF83CB4-1.jpeg270745_Screen Shot 2018-03-11 at 10.17.12 PM.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @andres_balanta ‌ -

We'll investigate what's happening for iOS -- it looks like it's working properly for Android. As a workaround until we can deliver a fix, you can request that students export the annotated version as a PDF from Preview, rather than just saving. Like this:

271201_Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.00.25 PM.png

That flattens the annotations and they'll show up in the iOS teacher app (and Android and web). Hope we can deliver a fix soon!

View solution in original post

7 Replies
ericwerth
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @andres_balanta .  I noticed the same behavior in one of my classes and communicated back and forth with Canvas support the last few days.

This is what I learned.  There have been reports of this behavior with both the Android and iOS app.  Canvas support attached my ticket to their case tracker so that I would be notified of updates as they work through this issue.  I'll update this thread as I learn more, but it probably would be a good idea if you submitted a help ticket as well.  This way the Instructure folks working on a fix will have a better idea of how many individuals are effected and more examples to review.

Until this is resolved I am letting my students know that they need to access Canvas through a regular computer to view my annotations.

Best wishes! 

rseilham
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thanks for bringing this up. I just tested and noticed the same thing. The Student Annotation tool is such a great feature that I would love for it to work in the Teacher App as well. If you haven't already, I suggest you report it to your local tech support or Canvas tech support so they can add it to the current ticket. If I find out anything I'll report back as well. 

peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure

Hi  @andres_balanta ‌ -

We'll investigate what's happening for iOS -- it looks like it's working properly for Android. As a workaround until we can deliver a fix, you can request that students export the annotated version as a PDF from Preview, rather than just saving. Like this:

271201_Screen Shot 2018-03-20 at 2.00.25 PM.png

That flattens the annotations and they'll show up in the iOS teacher app (and Android and web). Hope we can deliver a fix soon!

View solution in original post

Thank you so much for your quick response. I will try the solution above,

and I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

On Tue, Mar 20, 2018 at 4:04 PM, Peyton Craighill Admin <

Hi! I tried the solution above and it solved the issue. Thanks again!

peytoncraighill
Instructure
Instructure

We've got a fix that won't force you to export the PDF to see the annotations going into version 1.5 of the teacher app (i.e., the workaround above will always work, but version 1.5 should allow the ordinary save flow to work). We'll be releasing that within the next couple of weeks.

Thanks for the update  @peytoncraighill .  This is great news!