Why am I still part of a group from 2018?

Jump to solution
possum7000
Community Novice

I have contacted the teacher to unenroll me and I have unchecked the star on the desktop but I still have this class on my app.

This is my 2nd attempt to reach out to canvas! Yes, I have deleted and reinstalled the app twice!

Please help:

Here is the instructor's email:

Student Julie Bird has contacted support because she is still enrolled in Discussion Groups from FHGEN 130, a course she took in Fall 2018. She has been unable to delete these groups from her Canvas app. She has reported this issue with ticket 3758186.
Julie contacted me first on 31 December 2019 at 7:58 PM about deleting her from the DB groups. I responded the same evening at 9:04 PM and asked for more information. She did not respond, so I posted the question about deleting previous DB groups on the I-Learn Community on 1 January 2020. Brad Barson directed my question to Corey Moore, who responded on 3 January 2020 with this comment:
"Currently, I don't think there is a way for students to removed from groups. These show up from any course they take that use groups. Short of deleting groups, which would delete student work, we cannot remove them from these groups. I'm sorry. If this changes, I will let you know."
I tried to access the course from Fall 2018 to see if I could unenroll students from the groups, but this course and all other previous courses are locked for me. I'm not able to help Julie without permission to access to a previous course. If that is possible, please let me know. This is the only time I have had a student with this particular Canvas issue.
Patti Call
FHGEN 130

Here is the head of the dept email:

Hi Julie,

Your instructor for Paleography, Sister Patti Call, reached out to me to see what options are available to remove groups from the student app. Unfortunately, there is nothing you can do at this time to remove them for past enrolments. I would recommend that you vote up this idea in the Canvas Community:

0 Likes
1 Solution
Stef_retired
Instructure Alumni
Instructure Alumni

Hi,  @possum7000 , thanks for providing this extensive documentation of your interactions with the course instructor. This is definitely concerning, because students whose enrollments have been removed from a course should no longer have group memberships associated with that course. Similarly, students whose courses have been concluded should no longer be seeing those group enrollments.

I have a few questions:

• Is this only occurring on the app? When you log into your Canvas course through the browser, does this group enrollment still display on a Groups tab in the global navigation?
  • I see that you've uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Have you tried resetting the app cache? What Student app options can I manage from my iOS device settings? 
  • If neither of these remedies solves the problem, would you please ask Canvas Support to do additional investigation? The BYU-Idaho Help menu displays a "BYU-Idaho Help" link for students which sounds like the best option for this issue.

Thanks, Julie.

View solution in original post

0 Likes