cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why are grades disappearing?

Jump to solution

We have had several professors at our institution suddenly have their grades disappear. All the rows and columns are there but the data is empty. If you click into a cell it still doesn't show a score value. The data is still there because an export of the grade book shows everything. We resolved the issue by changing the date the term ends to the next day. Has anyone else seen this happen? Why is changing the end of the term the fix? Why would grades vanish before the conclusion of the term?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hey stuart.ryan@collaborative.education,

We had a ticket in Canvas Support. It made it's way up the chain until they discovered there is an issue with concluded students. They passed it on to an engineer and will let us know when updates have been made to correct the issue. (Also, bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu‌)

View solution in original post

7 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi Justin

I haven't heard of this happening nor experienced at my institutions. But I am going to share this with the Canvas Admins‌ and Instructional Designers‌ groups to see if anyone in there has had this happen and can shed some more light on why you are experiencing this. 

Highlighted

Hey bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu

We just had an additional issue where a professor couldn't open speedgrader. The fix was the same. We moved the end date for the course to the next day and it resolved the issue. I'm not sure why that is the fix. We haven't experienced this problem before with our term end dates.

Thanks for passing the information along to others. Hopefully we can learn what is going on.

Highlighted

Of course, the second I say that speedgrader stops working again. bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu, do you think Canvas could be having too much traffic on their servers since it is the end of the semester for most of America?

Highlighted

Hi Justin,

From looking at Canvas's status page‌ everything appears to be functioning as it should (Canvas Status), but you may want to keep monitoring it or subscribe to get notifications when there is an issue with a component of Canvas. They do a great job at updating that page and sending out alerts should their systems ever run into an issue. 

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi dewell.justin@occ.edu,

I wanted to check in if this is still happening, it sounds like something was definitely astray, and, if it is still happening may benefit from notifying Canvas Support as it may be something they could provide more insight into. 

Would be curious to hear if this is still ongoing.

Cheers,
Stuart

Highlighted

Hey stuart.ryan@collaborative.education,

We had a ticket in Canvas Support. It made it's way up the chain until they discovered there is an issue with concluded students. They passed it on to an engineer and will let us know when updates have been made to correct the issue. (Also, bneporadny@southcollegetn.edu‌)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Howdy dewell.justin@occ.edu,

Thank you for the heads up, that is very handy to know (as we are looking at grades exporting at the moment). 

Glad to hear it has been identified and is sitting with an engineer to correct the issue.

Cheers,
Stuart