Why are more of the suggestions given in these posts not implemented by Canvas?

Jump to solution
rmbutterfield
Community Explorer

My biggest frustration with Canvas and this community page is that so many great ideas for features are suggested by teachers who use Canvas every day, yet they are routinely ignored. Who cares if there aren't "enough votes". I only know about this website because I've gone down the rabbit hole of better understanding Canvas. Is there any way to find out how to suggest improvements better?

0 Likes
1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Good evening, @rmbutterfield ...

The voting system that you refer to was used in the previous platform (Jive) that ran the Canvas Community website.  Sometime around the beginning of August 2020, the Canvas Community website migrated to a new platform called Khoros.  They have a rating system for Feature Ideas which is different than the voting system that was part of the Jive platform/interface.  If you'd like to learn more about how rating a Feature Idea with a star works, you can review this document.   How do idea conversations work in the Canvas Commu... - Canvas Community

Keep in mind that the Community website isn't the only source of feedback users can give to Instructure.  They get feedback by other means, too.  I would highly recommend that you also read through this document: What is the feature development process for Instru... - Canvas Community.

I'll end my comments by saying that I've sometimes shared similar thoughts that you've expressed here.  Sometimes I've been discouraged that things don't get developed more quickly.  Sometimes I have thought that some of my own Feature Ideas I've submitted would be worthwhile to be implemented in Canvas, but some of my ideas have either been archived or still open for discussion years later.  So, I get it.  While we'd all like to see everything implemented, it's just not possible or feasible to do so.  I am encouraged, though, that some Feature Ideas I've submitted in the past have been developed...and at the time, they didn't get many votes (when we were using the Jive interface) at all.  I was pleasantly surprised that Instructure implemented something that got little attention in the Community.  I also know that Instructure staff does read our comments here in the Community...even if they aren't posting comments.  They are not ignored.  I'm basing this on regular communication I have with the Community Managers.  If I could offer a final word of encouragement, it would be to not lose hope.  Keep participating in those Feature Idea conversations.  Provide examples within those Feature Ideas as to why they would be important to you within Canvas.  That way, the folks at Instructure know from us the areas that could use improvement, areas that cause pain-points, or if we just want to see something new in Canvas.

I hope this will be of some help to you.  Have a good evening...

View solution in original post