cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
katie_talley
Community Member

Why can I not review submitted assignments?

Jump to solution

Hello,

I am currently the designer of a course on Canvas. I have posted two assignments with mandatory peer review assignments. I have had multiple students email me that they have submitted their assignments, but speedgrader is not appearing and I can neither see who has submitted assignments nor assign peer reviews based on their assignments.

Please direct me in solving this problem.

Best,

Katie

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @katie_talley  Welcome to the Canvas Community. First of all, have you been able to see a SpeedGrader link on the right for other assignments in this specific class?  The reason I ask is because of what you say in your very first sentence:  that you are a course designer.  The role of Designer in Canvas--at least, with its default settings--does not allow access to grades and, therefore, to SpeedGrader. Institutions may modify these roles or create custom ones, but I just ask to be sure!  That may also explain why you cannot assign peer reviews, either.

Otherwise--and assuming the course is still active and not past its end date (that happens this time of year!)--you should absolutely have a SpeedGrader link for a peer review assignment.  In fact, even if peer reviewers have not submitted their reviews yet, you should still have access at all times to the original student submission, just like any other online assignment.  If that is not the case, it may be time to file a support case to Canvas (Help>>Report a Problem) or check with your local technical support to have them take a look at things to make sure that the assignment was set up properly. 

But the bottom line is for any type of online assignment--peer review or not--once the submissions start coming in you should be able to see them. 

I hope this helps a bit, Katherine.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
kblack
Community Member

Hi  @katie_talley  Welcome to the Canvas Community. First of all, have you been able to see a SpeedGrader link on the right for other assignments in this specific class?  The reason I ask is because of what you say in your very first sentence:  that you are a course designer.  The role of Designer in Canvas--at least, with its default settings--does not allow access to grades and, therefore, to SpeedGrader. Institutions may modify these roles or create custom ones, but I just ask to be sure!  That may also explain why you cannot assign peer reviews, either.

Otherwise--and assuming the course is still active and not past its end date (that happens this time of year!)--you should absolutely have a SpeedGrader link for a peer review assignment.  In fact, even if peer reviewers have not submitted their reviews yet, you should still have access at all times to the original student submission, just like any other online assignment.  If that is not the case, it may be time to file a support case to Canvas (Help>>Report a Problem) or check with your local technical support to have them take a look at things to make sure that the assignment was set up properly. 

But the bottom line is for any type of online assignment--peer review or not--once the submissions start coming in you should be able to see them. 

I hope this helps a bit, Katherine.

View solution in original post