cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Why can't I access the test environment?

Jump to solution

I'm trying to access our district's test environment using the [organizationname].test.instructure.com URL.  it takes me through the Google SAML authentication screen but then appears to send me back to the production environment because there's not banner at the bottom that says I'm in the test environment and the URL at the top removes "test".   I tried it in incognito mode in the browser as well.  Says user login failed and takes me back to the production environment.  

Tags (1)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nathan.lawson@hck12.net

Are you seeing this screen..................

284307_pastedImage_3.png

That is what is happening to me. Here is what is for me a curious thing, this is a Canvas message, not the generic browser message one would expect when your browser cannot take you to a page. This means that somehow or other you were able to navigate close enough to your beta/test environments to trigger a Canvas error message.

I might suggest talking to your CSM to verify that your test/beta instances have been activated.

Kelley

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Surveyor

Turns out that our Google SAML was redirecting to the production environment.  I was able to sign in at http://hck12.test.instructure.com/login/canvas  with my canvas credentials (not Google).   I'm in now!  Smiley Happy

19 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

nathan.lawson@hck12.net, I just checked and the Test environment is working for me, so let’s work through a few things to see what the problem might be. 

Have you ever been able to log into the Test Environment? Have you tried logging into the Beta environment (replace Test with Beta in the URL)? Are you a Canvas Admin or another role in Canvas - like teacher? What is the URL for your normal instance of Canvas?

Answers to these questions should help us help you figure out the problem!

Kona

Highlighted

I am an admin.  I don't think I've ever been in the test or beta environments.  We're at hck12.instructure.com.  I tried to login to the beta site as well but exact same problem.  No banner at bottom, no distinction in the URL and says "failed to login" through an incognito tab.  

Highlighted

nathan.lawson@hck12.net, thank you, that information is helpful, but starts taking us beyond my area of expertise. My next thought is that the issue has to do with how you authenticate users - so your login setup. But that’s as far as I can go with my knowledge so I’m going to share this with the Canvas Admins‌ and Canvas Developers‌ to see if they can help. 

Kona

Highlighted

nathan.lawson@hck12.net,

I had a similar issue here at NNU. I had to contact my CSM team to make sure things were on the up and up. We did some digging and found out that the problem rested on the IT side of things within our university. The beta instance had been redirected and so it kept taking us back to production. Our test environment is also now working. 

I am not sure if this could be something that is happening within your district or not, but it may be an avenue to test to see if that yields access.

Jesse

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Nathan,

How long have you been using your production instance?

It may be that your account/user hasn't been migrated to the test instance yet.

Test is refreshed from production weekly, and beta is refreshed and rolled out every 3 weeks.

A possible work around, is to push an SIS import against test with your account info.

Highlighted

A little over a year now.  

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi nathan.lawson@hck12.net

Are you seeing this screen..................

284307_pastedImage_3.png

That is what is happening to me. Here is what is for me a curious thing, this is a Canvas message, not the generic browser message one would expect when your browser cannot take you to a page. This means that somehow or other you were able to navigate close enough to your beta/test environments to trigger a Canvas error message.

I might suggest talking to your CSM to verify that your test/beta instances have been activated.

Kelley

Highlighted

No just this screen when I login through incognito browser.   284367_Screen Shot 2018-08-02 at 11.14.44 AM.png

Highlighted

2-Factor is turned on on my account.  Wonder if that has anything to do with it...