Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why can't I hide Quiz Instructions?

Jump to solution

I have created a quiz in Classic.

I have no quiz instructions to give the students.  So, Quiz Instructions is blank.  Yet, this is what it shows in Preview:

337004_1.jpg

This seems confusing to me.  There are no instructions, so it has no reason to be there.

How do I remove this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

mdunn.adjunct@mountsaintvincent.edu, when an instructor uses the Preview function in Classic (Old) Quizzes to preview the quiz, the Quiz Instructions heading, and the instructions themselves, display. "Preview" is an instructor-only function designed to allow the instructor to perform a preview directly from the quiz authoring page. However, when the instructor looks at the quiz through Student View or by logging in as a fake student, the instructor won't see that heading, as it does not display to students when there are no instructions to display. Please check it out; if your experience doesn't conform with what I've described, you might want to ask Canvas Support to investigate.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi mdunn.adjunct@mountsaintvincent.edu...

Huh!  That's a pretty interesting observation you've discovered!  I, too, was able to replicate this behavior in my own sandbox course.  I'm not really sure I have an answer for you, though.  There *might* be a way to do this programmatically behind the scenes in your Canvas environment, but that would be beyond my expertise.  So, I'm going to share your question with the Canvas Developers‌ group here in the Community in hopes that your question will get some additional exposure.  If you aren't following this group, please click on the link that I've provided, and then you'll see two buttons to click on at the top right of the screen: "Follow" and "Actions" >> "Join group".  I hope this will be of help to you, Matthew.  Good luck in finding a solution!

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

mdunn.adjunct@mountsaintvincent.edu, when an instructor uses the Preview function in Classic (Old) Quizzes to preview the quiz, the Quiz Instructions heading, and the instructions themselves, display. "Preview" is an instructor-only function designed to allow the instructor to perform a preview directly from the quiz authoring page. However, when the instructor looks at the quiz through Student View or by logging in as a fake student, the instructor won't see that heading, as it does not display to students when there are no instructions to display. Please check it out; if your experience doesn't conform with what I've described, you might want to ask Canvas Support to investigate.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi 

Have just tested this and I see the instructions as student view and a fake student account so not sure maybe there's different settings for different institutions and Stefanie's doesn't display the instructions but mine definitely does

Highlighted

Dear Stefanie,

Thanks for the reply.

You write: "when an instructor uses the Preview function . . . to preview the quiz, the Quiz Instructions heading, and the instructions themselves, display"

Why?

In other words, when I preview the quiz as the Instructor, it will not really show me how the quiz will actually look.  For that, I have to go into . . . Student View?!

That is not my definition of "preview".