Why can't I preview PDFs in Canvas on Chrome on laptop?

Jump to solution
sakomigm1724
Community Novice

I am having trouble previewing PDFs in Canvas on Google Chrome on my laptop (image attached below).  It just says loading for the past few days.  A few days ago, I was able to preview PDFs in Canvas on Google Chrome on my laptop.  I can preview PDFs on Edge and Firefox on my laptop and can even preview PDFs on Chrome and Firefox on my phone.  Thus, I have isolated that there is no issue with my wi-fi, my computer, or Google Chrome as I can preview PDFs on other websites.  And no, I do not want to have to download each and every PDF file for all my classes and no, I am NOT uninstalling Chrome as suggested on another community page; that's out of the question.  Is there a way to resolve this oddly specific issue? (and let me make myself clear—I am seeking a SOLUTION, NOT a WORKAROUND.)

2 Solutions
jamie_spinney
Community Novice

Hello, Garrett. I just resolved the issue on my machine. It was related to a new "extension" in Chrome that was added by Bitdefender. Alternatively, you could also try using Chrome's Incognito window, which also worked for me.

View solution in original post

helya
Community Member

I've spent hours trying to find a solution and none of the existing threads have helped but I FINALLY FOUND IT

Some full access extensions on chrome that can read/write data can be culprits, for me this was Grammarly. Try disabling your extensions and adding them back one by one to find the culprit. You don't need to uninstall the extensions, just right click and set them to read and change site data only when you click the icon.

View solution in original post