cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why can't I see all of the rubric in Speedgrader, even with a large screen?

Jump to solution

I have a large display screen.  Why doesn't Speedgrader show all of the rubric fields by default?  I figured out how to move the separator bar, but I shouldn't have to on a wide screen.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi tul56115@temple.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community. You ask a good question, and one where I am utterly out of my depth to answer.  But I see that your question has been here for about 5 days, so I thought I would give my limited skill set a shot. I don't dare venture into Canvas' published code on GitHub, but based on my own limited knowledge of using the Google browser's cool developer tools, it appears to me that the right side of the SpeedGrader window is set to 25% of the width of your browser window.  So no matter HOW big your screen is, that right sidebar is always going to be 25% of your screen.  To see this in action, make your browser screen a bit smaller by NOT maximizing it, and then resize it a bit with your mouse.  See?  That right sidebar is always sticking at roughly 25% of that window that you re-sized, AND the font on the screen is set.

This is, however, a topic near and dear to my heart, because I completely agree with your issue.  It's a pain having to use that separator bar; and, frankly, I'm mildly surprised that there is not a keyboard command to move it for the purposes of universal design.  What I can recommend is that you check--and comment and vote up on--the following two Feature Ideas:

I'm surprised neither of these have received more love yet, frankly.  A faculty member at my institution said that simply could not click-and-drag that separator bar at all.  And frankly, it IS on the narrow side, too.  The only thing you can do is reduce the font size on your screen by (on most browsers) pressing Ctrl and -  or (again, on most browsers) heading to their options and using the Zoom command.  Of course, the downside is you'll likely be unable to read the small print on the screen now!

I hope this helps a bit, James.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

Hi tul56115@temple.edu Welcome to the Canvas Community. You ask a good question, and one where I am utterly out of my depth to answer.  But I see that your question has been here for about 5 days, so I thought I would give my limited skill set a shot. I don't dare venture into Canvas' published code on GitHub, but based on my own limited knowledge of using the Google browser's cool developer tools, it appears to me that the right side of the SpeedGrader window is set to 25% of the width of your browser window.  So no matter HOW big your screen is, that right sidebar is always going to be 25% of your screen.  To see this in action, make your browser screen a bit smaller by NOT maximizing it, and then resize it a bit with your mouse.  See?  That right sidebar is always sticking at roughly 25% of that window that you re-sized, AND the font on the screen is set.

This is, however, a topic near and dear to my heart, because I completely agree with your issue.  It's a pain having to use that separator bar; and, frankly, I'm mildly surprised that there is not a keyboard command to move it for the purposes of universal design.  What I can recommend is that you check--and comment and vote up on--the following two Feature Ideas:

I'm surprised neither of these have received more love yet, frankly.  A faculty member at my institution said that simply could not click-and-drag that separator bar at all.  And frankly, it IS on the narrow side, too.  The only thing you can do is reduce the font size on your screen by (on most browsers) pressing Ctrl and -  or (again, on most browsers) heading to their options and using the Zoom command.  Of course, the downside is you'll likely be unable to read the small print on the screen now!

I hope this helps a bit, James.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Agree. There are smarter ways to design UIs. Barring that, they should just fix the width of the sidebar, rather than letting it float at 25%.