cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
finnegan
Surveyor II

Why can't my students see the "people" tab to sign up for groups?

I've followed the instructions for creating self-sign-up groups for a group project. The instructions say that students should go to "People" and from there will find the group set and can create their groups. I've created the groups under "people" and within the assignment itself. However, when I look at the student view, there is no "people" tab, and my students are not seeing it either. They also can't access group sign-up through the assignment. I've looked in the instructor guide but it's not solving my problem. Hope someone here can! Thanks very much.

13 Replies
dhulsey
Explorer II

Good morning Elizabeth! Go to your course settings. Click on the navigation tab at the top. Drag "People" from the bottom list to the top list. Hit "Save" at the bottom of the page. That should do the trick.

finnegan
Surveyor II

Hi. Dallas and thank you! I should have said that "people" is indeed already in the top list--it's not in the "hidden from students list." That's part of why I am so confused!

Lizzie

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Can you take and share a screen shot of what you're seeing from Instructor view?

Yes, good thinking! Here is the screenshot--grateful for any suggestions!220420_Screen Shot 2017-03-10 at 12.34.58 PM.pngT

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Thank you for the screen shot! Based on what you're showing us, People "should" show up for your students. Yet, if you aren't seeing it when you view the course as a student and your students aren't seeing it then my next question is whether or not your Institution has somehow blocked that page from being visible for students. If this is the case, then you would need to work with Canvas Support at your Institution to get the problem figured out. If you're not sure how to contact Canvas Support, try clicking on the Help link in Canvas and "Report a Problem."

Thanks Kona! I'm relieved at least that I'm not crazy in thinking there is a problem. I'll contact the person at my institution who is in charge of this, and talk to the Canvas support people too. 

Thanks everyone for your help!

Lizzie

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Please let us know what you find out!

They may be blocking it due to FERPA concerns.  There are questions about students seeing other students who are not in their section.  If you group sections or cross-list sections it can cause a FERPA issue.  I was looking for the previous discussion on that but don't see it. 

Thanks, Teri---I just called our IT people and the person in charge isn't in today, but the person I talked to thought it might be a FERPA issue. I do have multiple sections of the class. But I think this will pose problems for a lot of instructors, as many of us want to use that groups function! I suppose the workaround, if they feel they can't change that setting, will be for me to do the old-school paper sign-up sheet, and then manually enter the group members myself. *Sigh*  But there's still the question of whether they can get access to the group workspaces if they can't access the groups tab, which only seems to be accessible through the people tab. I'll let you all know what happens, though!