Why can't you add an announcement to a module?

Jump to solution
ckiser
Community Novice

I assign weekly modules that I post on Monday and students' work is due on Friday.

I would like to have announcements within the module so students can go to one place (their weekly module) to find everything they need from me.

2 Solutions
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

@ckiser  and Deactivated user...

Unfortunately, Announcements cannot be added to the "Modules" index page of a Canvas course.  They are two separate things.  However, what you *could* do is set your "Modules" to be your "Home" page (the first thing that students see when they log in to your course) and also have a few announcements display above your modules list.

1. How do I change the Course Home Page? (choose "Course Modules" to make your "Home" page show the modules of your course right away)
  2. How do I show recent announcements in the Course Home Page?

This might not be exactly what you are looking for, but it might be close.  I hope it will work for your needs.  Sing out if you have any questions.  Take care...stay safe...be well.

View solution in original post

0 Likes

I just added an announcement to a module. While it's true that Canvas does not yet have a menu item for it, I copied the announcement's URL and title, and added it as an "External URL" in the drop-down list.

However, when I import my course shell content to a new semester's course, I don't expect Canvas to automatically adjust the link to the new course, as it does with other content.

Preferably, we should have an option to add an announcement the same way you add a page.

However, another approach that would auto-adjust on import would be to add a new Page, and then Insert > Link > Course Link. The Add dialog box pops in on the right, containing all the individual Announcements.

Best wishes,
Eric Skagerberg
Santa Rosa Junior College Computer Studies department

View solution in original post