cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why do discussions no longer display the "available until" date to students?

Jump to solution

I noticed that, with the most recent update, gradable discussions no longer display the "available until" date to students. Only discussions with no points available display the "available until" date. (How do I use the Discussions Index Page?)

discussion page view

This is problematic because students rely on this information to know when their discussion is going to close. Now, faculty are getting questions from students about the discussion availability dates.

Am I missing something? Please tell me I'm missing something...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi garciah@oregonstate.edu.  I haven't used the availability date feature of discussions myself in a while, but just tested this in my sandbox course and see what you are referring to.  I did notice that even graded discussions worth zero points don't display the message about the discussion being locked until a particular day on the index page.  Only ungraded discussions display this note.  I don't believe you are missing anything as the guide you linked to indicates this is the expected behavior.  Being said, I can see how this would be good information to include on the index page, even though if a student attempts to access a graded discussion they are then provided with details on when it will open.  I looked through existing feature ideas and didn't see one that related to this behavior.  It may be worth submitting this as an idea so others can vote it up and discuss the feature.

All the best!

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Surveyor

Hi garciah@oregonstate.edu.  I haven't used the availability date feature of discussions myself in a while, but just tested this in my sandbox course and see what you are referring to.  I did notice that even graded discussions worth zero points don't display the message about the discussion being locked until a particular day on the index page.  Only ungraded discussions display this note.  I don't believe you are missing anything as the guide you linked to indicates this is the expected behavior.  Being said, I can see how this would be good information to include on the index page, even though if a student attempts to access a graded discussion they are then provided with details on when it will open.  I looked through existing feature ideas and didn't see one that related to this behavior.  It may be worth submitting this as an idea so others can vote it up and discuss the feature.

All the best!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Eric,

Thanks for testing and confirming that I'm not seeing something unusual on my end.

I may end up submitting a feature idea and will definitely post the link to this thread, if I do, but first, I'd like to know why the change was made. Hopefully, someone from Instructure can provide a rationale.

Highlighted
Surveyor II

I liked how before the recent discussion update I could see the unlock date on the main discussion forum page.  Now, I have to open each discussion forum if I need to double-check the discussion is locked.  I hope they add this back to the discussion forum main page because it was a convenient way to check unlocked dates.

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Alexandria,

Me too. This update is unfortunate as it places an extra burden on faculty who now have to click into each discussion for additional information. And for students, the close date is no where to be found, so now they have to ask their instructor directly, which is another burden on faculty. This change is very disappointing. I'd be interested to know why this change was made. Perhaps the community managers, stefaniesanders‌ and Renee Carney, have some insights to offer?

Highlighted
Lamplighter

garciah@oregonstate.edu‌ and lewisale@missouri.edu‌, we're aware of this, and will be addressing it in the upcoming release. Please continue to follow the Release Notes‌ for updates.