cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why does Canvas automatically deduct half for late assignments?

Jump to solution

I've seen discussions saying that you can't get Canvas to automatically deduct points for late assignments, but my problem is the opposite. Canvas is automatically giving students grades that are half the points if their assignment was submitted late. I am attaching a screen shot to show it. In the screen shot you can see at the bottom left that the Final Score is 31 out of 100, but at the top right you can see that Canvas notes the submission was late, and in the Grade box it shows 15.5 as the score. The grade is grayed out in the grade box, so I cannot edit it there. The only way I can correct this is by giving fudge points, which are also discounted. I need to know:

1. How can I turn off automatic halving of late assignment grades? OR

2. How can I turn off marking of an assignment as late?

Tags (1)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Member

Hello, everyone, and thanks for your assistance on this. It turns out that I had given students two attempts on this quiz, and the "score to keep" was set at "average." When I graded only a single quiz attempt by hand, it averaged the two attempts. It turned out that the only students who submitted 2 attempts were students who submitted their second attempts late, and I only graded the second attempts. I'm reminded of one of those closed-door murder mysteries where everything seems impossible until the neat and tidy solution is revealed. Thanks again for your help, and sorry for presenting you with a mystery without all the relevant details.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello kstack@mpc.edu‌...

I've never heard of any assignment within Canvas having an automatic process that would cut a score in half as you've indicated.  This seems like odd behavior to me, and I would recommend that you reach out to the Help Desk staff at Instructure to see if they might be able to assist you with that.  You can find their contact information by clicking on the "Help" menu on the left hand side of your Canvas screen, and you should see some technical support options listed.

With respect to your second question, the assignment is marked "late" because you have a due date set for that assignment.  Go into the assignment in question, click on the "Edit" button to edit the properties of the assignment, and then remove the due date that is listed.  Be sure to save/update changes, and when you go back to the SpeedGrader (as displayed in your attached image), that red message should be gone.

I hope this helps, Kelly!

Highlighted
Community Member

Thanks for the reply. I removed the due date from the quiz, but when I went back into Speed Grader, the red "late" notice was still there, and still no way to change the grade (still half off) in the little box.

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Canvas does not take off for late work. For this quiz were there questions that needed to be manually graded? If so then you would need to click the "Update score" button for those points to count toward the final grade. I've seen this myself when I've forgotten to click the button. 

Highlighted
Community Member

I did click the "update score" button. As you can see, the amount shown in the upper right is exactly half of what the student earned after I clicked "update score." I'm afraid Canvas did automatically cut this score in half. My question is why.

Highlighted
Community Member

Kona's suggestion sounds like one possible solution to this mystery. Canvas definitely does not mark down for late assignments (i.e. after the due date but while still in the available period). My students would definitely let me know if they were not getting full credit for their late assignments!

This is actually one of my favorite features of Canvas (our old LMS did not offer this hard-deadline soft-deadline option); I've written about it here:

https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/designers/blog/2017/03/08/use-the-canvas-grace-period 

Highlighted

I should clarify that all my questions are essay questions, so Canvas is not assigning a grade for each question. I assign a grade for each question, and my grades were for the full amount the student earned. It was the final total that Canvas halved. I'd be interested if anyone can reduplicate my problem:

1. Create a quiz with essay questions. (Mine had 5 questions, each one worth 20 points.)

2. Assign a due-date for the quiz.

3. Take and submit the quiz after the due-date.

4. Go through and assign a score for each question.

5. Hit the "update score" button.

The score shown at the bottom of the page, to the left of the update score button will be correct. (In this case it is 100.)

The score shown in the top of the right sidebar where it says "Grade ____ out of X" will be grayed out, and it will be half the score shown at the bottom left of the page (in this case it is 50). The score in the gradebook will be the half-total score (i.e., 50).

Thanks very much for your help!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hello, everyone, and thanks for your assistance on this. It turns out that I had given students two attempts on this quiz, and the "score to keep" was set at "average." When I graded only a single quiz attempt by hand, it averaged the two attempts. It turned out that the only students who submitted 2 attempts were students who submitted their second attempts late, and I only graded the second attempts. I'm reminded of one of those closed-door murder mysteries where everything seems impossible until the neat and tidy solution is revealed. Thanks again for your help, and sorry for presenting you with a mystery without all the relevant details.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Mystery solved! I really like watching these conversations unfold here because it helps me be alert to possibilities if/when I run into trouble. Thank you for sharing the solution here!