cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
singh_759
Community Member

Why does the preview file feature not work?

Jump to solution

Why is it that the preview file feature never works for anything? (And sometimes you don't even have that option) One of the best things about D2L was that you could preview every file so downloading every individual file (like you have to do with Canvas) was not necessary. The worst thing is I always can see the first page of every powerpoint or word document, pdf etc but the rest don't load at all and the circle animation spins endlessly until i give up and download the file. Is this ever going to be fixed? It's extremely irritating going from having access to everything on Carmen to downloading every individual file(sometimes multiple times) if you want to check it again. Are there plans to fix this anytime soon?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@singh_759 ​, welcome to the Canvas Community! I am also currently experiencing a problem with the Box previewer for documents. When I click on the preview icon, I receive the message "Service is currently unavailable. Try again later." (You're actually seeing more than I am! I don't even get the first page.)

I've submitted a support ticket; I would advise you to do the same, if you haven't already. If you have, please post your case number here so I can append it to my ticket. It's easier for Support to diagnose and fix an issue if they receive and can group multiple reports.

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@singh_759 ​, welcome to the Canvas Community! I am also currently experiencing a problem with the Box previewer for documents. When I click on the preview icon, I receive the message "Service is currently unavailable. Try again later." (You're actually seeing more than I am! I don't even get the first page.)

I've submitted a support ticket; I would advise you to do the same, if you haven't already. If you have, please post your case number here so I can append it to my ticket. It's easier for Support to diagnose and fix an issue if they receive and can group multiple reports.

View solution in original post

My ticket number is 01635736.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@singh_759 ​, here's the response I received to my ticket:

Hello,

There has been a wide-scale DDoS attack on critical internet services causing issues with some third-party tools in Canvas and Canvas Support’s third-party phone system

Two separate Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attacks on key providers of core internet services (e.g. DNS) today have caused widespread problems with many internet-based products and services (including Twitter, SoundCloud, Spotify, Shopify, and other popular websites). The first incident started early this morning and ended at about 9:30 AM ET; the second began around 12:30 PM ET and is ongoing.

Canvas itself continues to perform well. But some important third-party services in Canvas are struggling, including our document-rendering engine, which is powered by Box.

You can find a good summary of the broader issue here: https://techcrunch.com/2016/10/21/many-sites-including-twitter-and-spotify-suffering-outage/

The popular DNS provider Dyn, Inc. is among the most heavily-impacted services today; you can find their status page here: https://www.dynstatus.com/incidents/nlr4yrr162t8

I am not currently experiencing issues with the Box previewer.

Whenever you experience unexpected behavior, please be sure to start a support case by following the instructions in How do I get help with Canvas?  .

Thanks for reaching out to support, Stefanie! However, the Box file previewer has not worked for me since the start of the semester(Late August) so I do not think it can be attributed to the recent DDos attack. I was just too apathetic, like many of my peers to actually reach out to support and try to get it fixed. To the best of my knowledge, a lot of people have this same problem at Ohio State. I've submitted a new ticket to support.

That is odd,  @singh_759 ​! It seems that you and I ran into an example of "correlation is not causation." Smiley Happy Please let us know what Support has to say.

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@singh_759 ​, for a period of time last month, the file previewing feature in Canvas was experiencing intermittent problems (and the Canvas Status page provides a good history of this). Now that those are in the rear view mirror, I'm wondering if you and your colleagues are still experiencing the issue with supported documents rendering. Have you heard back from support?

JACOBSEN_C
Explorer III

We are noticing the document previewer, and Box.net outside of Canvas, is not including images when using the Microsoft Edge web browser.  Edge has been left as the default browser to our schools lab computers.  The images below will illustrate (two browsers depicted in each; side-by-side (Edge vs. FireFox).  Who else is running into this issue - has anything been addressed concerning it (could something be done)?

Document previewing w/in Canvas (Edge vs FireFox)

216371_EdgeNotCorrectlyPreviewingCanvas Documents.png

Document previewing just w/in Box.net (Edge vs. FireFox)

216372_Box_Not_Previewing_WordDocx_Image.png

This is exactly my problem too. I am trying to make it easy for my students to get a quick example by previewing a PDF, not forcing them to download it. The students have laptops with only Edge as the default browser. When they click on the link I have given them, the Box previewer shows only the text - no images or links in the document. Since Canvas supports Edge, this needs to be fixed. I shouldn't have to give instructions on how to open the pdf in Internet Explorer, nor should I expect busy students to download every link I give them. They will take the easy way out - too hard = do nothing. If Box can't deliver, then find a provider who can. It works well in Chrome.

Image below:

221682_error.PNG

Bottom line - we tell our faculty and student users to stay away from Edge - it is bad juju!

This message is from Canvas Support in response to a ticket last August...............

Thank you for contacting Canvas Support. I understand that you are having issues uploading your "Module 7". Looking over some additional information I can see that you have been using Microsoft Edge, and Internet Explorer web browsers. There is a current issue where those browsers will list Canvas as a untrusted website, and not allow file uploads. Some users have been able to go in, and add Canvas as a trusted website in Internet Explorer. That being said I have also had many users report that they are still unable to submit it after doing that. The easiest work around is using another browser such as Google Chrome, and Mozilla Firefox until this issue is fixed.

There are some great discussions around this at Any known issues between Microsoft Edge browser and Canvas? 

Also, a member of our State Board's eLearning Council posted the following, and it has a bit more help for those who must use Edge.

Edge browser preventing students from submitting assignments Microsoft updated the Edge browser over the last couple of days and their "SmartScreen" filter happens to misidentify Canvas as malware at the moment. Our engineering team is taking a look into what we might be able to do on our side to reconcile the issue. In the meantime, users can get around the problem by doing one of three things:

1. Use another browser to submit assignments; a list of other supported browsers can be found here:https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-1284.

1. Turn off "SmartScreen," the feature of Edge causing the problem, by following these steps:

- Go to Settings in Edge

- Go to Advanced Settings

- Turn off the option that reads "Help protect me from malicious sites and downloads with SmartScreen Filter"

We highly recommend the option of using a different browser because disabling security features isn't a great solution to any problem. Thanks for your understanding and we apologize for any inconvenience this has caused.

(Make sure your operating system is also current as noted in the computer specifications lesson; you may need to download the Windows 10 Anniversary Update to submit Canvas assignments)

I strongly suspect that Edge treating Canvas as malware could also prevent documents from displaying in Box, and perhaps adding Box as an exception in Edge security might help.

I doubt if it helps much, but it is all I gots!

KLM