cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why does the time slider in the Etherpad not work any longer!

Jump to solution

I loved that function of the Etherpad, but it is very clearly broken now.  This really dramatically reduces the functionality of Etherpad, and I refuse to go to Googledocs since that requires students have gmail accounts and connect them to their university selves and that is, to my mind, a serious violation of privacy.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Hi pinej​ and jkocher@ufl.edu​ -

I've bumped up against this issue myself - it appears to be a known issue over at EtherPad - Issue #2096 was opened back in February '14 (and since closed, with no resolution I could determine); there seems to have been a similar issue back in '12 too (Issue #1077). I agree, it's one of the most awesome features. My experience (over the Spring 2015 semester) has been as follows:

• If I noodle the slider back and forth a bit, persistence generally pays off, and I get the revisions "movie" going eventually.
  • I have better luck with Chrome than with Firefox.
  • The more complex the history (# users, # revs), the longer it takes to load.
  • But it does work eventually...so far!

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Learner II

Judy,

It seems to be working with mine. Can you take a screencast of what you are seeing?

Highlighted

Hi James,

My problem is that the older versions of a document don’t show up, which I cannot screen shot properly as I am not sure how to shoot video of my screen. It used to be the case that when you did Time Slider, you saw, on the screen, all of the various iterations of a document. Now, however, although the little indicator seems to run from left to right at the top of the document, and although there are stars on the slider track indicating presumably places that saving happened, all I see is the final version of the document.

What I want to be able to do is to watch (and show to students) the evolution of the document. That appears not to work any longer, although it once did and was one of the best things about Canvas.

- Judy

Highlighted

Is this just one document that you've seen this in or multiple?  

Highlighted

At least two. I’ve only done two recently, and in both cases they didn’t show the transitions.

Highlighted

Sounds like an EtherPad issue and not a canvas one.  I would copy the URLs of the two collaborations and email the issue and links to contact@etherpad.org.  Follow up here when you hear back to let us know what the issue is. Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi pinej​ and jkocher@ufl.edu​ -

I've bumped up against this issue myself - it appears to be a known issue over at EtherPad - Issue #2096 was opened back in February '14 (and since closed, with no resolution I could determine); there seems to have been a similar issue back in '12 too (Issue #1077). I agree, it's one of the most awesome features. My experience (over the Spring 2015 semester) has been as follows:

• If I noodle the slider back and forth a bit, persistence generally pays off, and I get the revisions "movie" going eventually.
  • I have better luck with Chrome than with Firefox.
  • The more complex the history (# users, # revs), the longer it takes to load.
  • But it does work eventually...so far!

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Thank you for this useful response, Gerol!

- Judy

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Just FYI; If you are using Etherpad in Canvas, please see the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-05-16)  for an important update on the plan to discontinue the use of Etherpad integration in Canvas as of August 8th.