cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
hydea
Community Member

Why doesn't Canvas save changes to the assignment order?

Jump to solution

I used the drag and drop to change order of assignments (and discussions too) and once I leave the page, all the items return to the previous order.  The new order is not saved.  This happens with imported items on the Etudes migration process.  Very frustrating.  Is there some special command to save the new order - I didn't see it.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hydea
Community Member

Thanks Kona and Stefanie, that explains it.  This is my first semester with Canvas and there are growing pains.  I did  see the benefit to using Modules and will concentrate there - and "hide" the discussions as you suggest.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

In general Canvas should save the order of your assignments. Yet, to be clear, where is it that you're trying to change the order? Also, what Internet browser are you using? Have you tried updating it or switching to a different browser (Chrome or Firefox)?

hydea
Community Member

I'm using Google Chrome and it is in Discussions. I tried to change the order in, both on a published and unpublished item and it doesn't take - reverts back to original position.  Tried it in Firefox too; same result.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

If you are on the Discussion Index page then you won't be able to put them in any order. That's not a function in Canvas and is one reason many people use Modules to organize their Discussions and other content. 

Stefanie
Community Team
Community Team

@hydea , on the Discussions Index list, discussions will appear by default in order of most recent posting first. However, you can choose to "pin" your discussions in any order you'd like. Please refer to https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-10025-415276774 for instructions. Generally speaking, I hide the Discussions navigation link from the course navigation altogether, and as  @kona ‌ suggests, I use Modules to display assignments, discussions, and other content items in the order in which I'd like them to appear to students.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

Whoops, thanks for the save stefaniesanders! I totally forgot that you can "pin" discussions!

hydea
Community Member

Thanks Kona and Stefanie, that explains it.  This is my first semester with Canvas and there are growing pains.  I did  see the benefit to using Modules and will concentrate there - and "hide" the discussions as you suggest.

View solution in original post

You won't be sorry,  @hydea . I hide everything except Home, Syllabus (which is also the home page), and Modules in the course navigation for my courses, and I always put a very prominent extra link to the Modules list on the home page. I like to keep things simple and streamlined for students.

And a belated welcome to Canvas! Please feel free to reach out to the Community for assistance at any time. We have all walked in your shoes, and we're here to help you through those growing pains. Smiley Happy