cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kcarlson1
Community Member

Why doesn't my rich text editor have an embed/record video option?

The Canvas Guides detail how to embed and record videos within the rich text editor. When I log into my institution there isn't that option. Why?

This is what the tool bar looks like in my rich text editor.

218371_pastedImage_1.png

4 Replies
Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

@kcarlson1 ,

After talking to a support person as Instructure, they recommend that you please open a ticket with Instructure Support.  This can be done by going to Help > Report a problems from within that specific course.

Robbie

Thanks for your response!

It looks like I don't have a help option either! 

218642_pastedImage_1.png

In this help guide it says, "Note: Depending on your institution, the Help link name and icon may vary." However, our system admin is new and doesn't know anything about this (I'm basically acting as an admin as well). 

Additionally, we are just using the OpenSource version of Canvas, not the paid version. Would that affect either of these things? I thought that the versions were exactly the same. However, doesn't this mean we are unable to submit support tickets? 

@kcarlson1  Canvas Free-for-Teachers affords access to Canvas Support, and those users will see the Help button at the bottom of the global navigation on the left. However, if your institution is truly using the open source (i.e. self-hosted) version, then Canvas could have been heavily customized by your developer in any number of ways, which would explain why the video button is missing from the Rich Content Editor ribbon--as well as why the Help button is not present.

So this is trickier. You're going to need to find out who at your school created the open source version and is responsible for maintaining the code to get the answers to your questions. And at the same time, you could email a support request to support@canvas.com so that one of our awesome support engineers can have a look at what's going on behind the scenes. (Include the link to this Community discussion in your email.)

Good luck!

Robbie_Grant
Community Coach
Community Coach

Were you able to find an answer to your question? I am going to go ahead and mark this question as answered because there hasn't been any more activity in a while so I assume that you have the information that you need. If you still have a question about this or if you have information that you would like to share with the community, by all means, please do come back and leave a comment.  Also, if this question has been answered by one of the previous replies, please feel free to mark that answer as correct.

Robbie