cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
stephanie_johns
Community Member

Why don't all my Pages show up in the Insert Content > Links Wiki Pages list?

Jump to solution

I have a lot of pages in my course. When I try to insert a cross-reference or link, not all of my pages are visible. My list is truncating in the "Vs," so that any page beginning with "W," is not appearing. If I want to link to it, I have to go to Pages, find the page, open it, and copy the URL, then go back to the page I am editing and open and insert a link there. Am I missing something here? Or does Canvas really max out?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

As an update to this, on the Canvas Production Release Notes (2015-12-12) it states that this problem is being fixed!

Page Display Limit: Users can view all pages in the Pages sidebar.

Explanation: When an instructor created or edited a page and tried to add an existing page from the wiki pages list in the Content Selector sidebar, the list stopped displaying pages after showing 150 titles. This behavior occurred because the page display limit was set to 150. Canvas code has been updated to not set a limit for the list of wiki pages. However, pages must be published to appear in the list.

View solution in original post

15 Replies
haysb
Surveyor

Hi Stephanie,  I am not seeing the same thing in my course.  I have somewhere around 130 pages, and the only pages that do not show up are ones that are not currently published which is how its always been.  I'm assuming your pages are published and that you can typically see into the 'W's.  Odd behavior by Canvas...  I'm interested to hear what you find out.

Best,

Sam

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

stephanie.johnson​, I tested this on a course with 175+ pages and could access all of them on the right side-bar. One quick question - are the pages that are missing published? From what I can tell if the pages aren't published then they don't show up in the right side-bar. If that's not the case, then my next question is if you are using Internet Explorer (IE)? I have no idea if using IE would/could cause this, but I've seen some pretty crazy (in a not good way) things happen when faculty and students use IE and Canvas. If none of this is the case then my recommendation is to submit a Canvas Help ticket - How do I file a ticket with Canvas Support from the Community?

Hope this helps!

Thanks for your quick response, Kona. Yes, all my (~250) pages are published, and I typically use Chrome, never IE. Perhaps I should try Firefox? We might have some system-level setting at our college/department level that affects this view. So I will submit a help ticket--thanks for providing the link!

stephanie.johnson,  I was in Firefox originally, but just tried in in Chrome and it was working fine there as well. My recommendation is definitely to submit a help ticket for this!

We just did! Thanks again for being so responsive!

James
Navigator

I'm not a Ruby programmer, so I may be misinterpreting this, but if you look at line 156 of the application_helper.rb file from the Canvas source code, you will see a .limit(150) on the command that fetches the list of wiki pages. I take that to mean there is a limit of 150 pages, so that explains why not able to see past 150 wiki pages in the wiki sidebar.

By the way, that 150 is hard coded in there, so there doesn't appear to be any way to configure it short of modifying the source code.

kona
Community Coach
Community Coach

stephanie.johnson​ based on  @James ​' response I went back and double checked and we don't have more than 150 pages that are published. I think that's why I might be able to see all of our pages and you can't. Sorry for not catching this before!

James,

Thanks for your response. That makes sense to me. We filed a ticket with our Tech Help desk--but it could be I just have to live with what seems to me an unnecessary limitation. We have lengthy certificate courses that extend across multiple quarters; those courses are exceeding that page limit.

I'm not going to debate the necessity of it, but I will say it's probably in there for performance reasons. That list has to load every time you edit a page and when it gets lengthy, it slows everything down. It's a tradeoff between people being annoyed because they have to wait and people being annoyed because they can't access all of their pages. Most people will never notice because they don't have more than 150 pages.

In the meantime, here's something you could do as a work-around. Copy and paste the page names into Word so that you can have a list with hyperlinks without having to go inside Canvas to find the one you want.

Preliminary Work in Excel

When we copy the data from Canvas, it will come over as a hyperlink. Unfortunately, Excel doesn't have a built-in function to get the URL from the hyperlink, so we need to create a user-defined function that will do it for us.

1. Open Excel and start a new worksheet.
  2. Press ALT-F11 to open the Visual Basic for Applications editor.
  3. In the Visual Basic for Applications editor, click on Insert and choose Module
  4. Paste the function below that I got from ExcelTips . It will create a function called getURL() that will extract the hyperlink URL from a cell.
  5. Close the Visual Basic for Applications editor, but be sure to leave Excel open.

Function GetURL(rng As Range) As String

On Error Resume Next

GetURL = rng.Hyperlinks(1).Address

End Function

Creating the List in Word

Ultimately, this will be in Word, but we need to go through Excel for part of it to manipulate the data.

1. Go to Pages, then click View All Pages. You will probably want to sort it in alphabetical order by title. Continue to scroll down the page. It will say "Loading More". Keep scrolling until you have the entire list of pages on the screen.
  2. Select all the information about the pages starting at the top and going to the bottom. Copy this and paste it into Excel. It won't look pretty, but that's OK, we've got to manipulate the data first. Mine filled up cells A1:E164, although the first column is the one that we need. The first actual page name was in cell A2.
  3. Go to an empty cell in the same row as the first page name. I picked G2. Type =TRIM(A2) and press enter.This will strip spaces off the front or back of the title and give you the name without the hyperlink.

4. Move to the cell to the right of this. In my case, it would be cell H2. Type =GetURL(A2) and press enter. This should give you the full path to the page.
  5. Copy Cells G2 and H2 down until you have all of your pages covered.
  6. Highlight the data in columns G and H. In my case, G2:H164. Press Ctrl-C for copy and then Alt-E, S, V for Paste Special with Values.
  7. Press Enter to overwrite the information. Alternatively, you could put it into a different range or even into a different spreadsheet.
  8. Press ^H for Search and Replace.
    1. Search for the beginning portion of the URL that contains the protocol and hostname. Basically, that's everything before the /courses/. In my instance, that would be https://richland.instructure.com. Do not include the slash at the end.
    2. Replace it with nothing.
    3. Click Replace All.
  9. At this point, you'll have two columns, one with the page name and one with the shortened URL that begins with /courses/.
  10. Go to the cell immediately to the right of the first page address. For me, it's cell I2. Type =HYPERLINK(G2,H2) and press enter. The G2 should be the page name and the H2 should be relative URL that begins with /courses/
  11. Copy this formula down so it repeats for every page name.
  12. Copy the last column, which contains the hyperlinks, and paste it into Word. The rest of this is done in Word.
  13. When you copied the data into Word, it copied it as a table and kept the formatting that you had in Excel. Not cool. In fact, you probably freaked out when you first pasted it.
  14. Click somewhere in the document so that you're actually in the list and the "Table Tools" menu pops up at the top. Choose Layout.
  15. Toward the right is a "Convert to Text" button. Click that and choose to separate the text with Paragraph marks.
  16. The entire list should be highlighted. If not, press Ctrl-A to highlight. Then click on the Normal or No Spacing style from the Home tab in Word. This will remove any formatting so that when you copy/paste into Canvas, it looks the same as all of the other hyperlinks. You probably want No Spacing if you have that many items. You may be tempted to make it a bullet list, but don't: If you do, the bullets will come through when you copy into Canvas.
  17. Save your Word file! That was a lot of work.

Using the List

When you need to access pages that are beyond the 150 limit (or anytime if you like), start by opening the Word document.

1. Find the page you want in the Word document.
  2. Select and copy the page name
  3. Switch to the Canvas rich content editor
  4. Paste the information where you want it.

You could do that with just the pages at the end, but you may actually find it easier to do it this way than using what's built in.

If you find that you want the links but the text changes and is rarely the name of the page, you may want to just keep the Excel file with the shortened links and use it.