cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cls191
Community Member

Why is a quiz counting for extra credit when it shouldn't be?

Hi everyone,

I have a quiz that is counting as extra credit when I don't want it to be. It is in the same category as other similar quizzes that are being graded correctly. The only difference I can see is that in the gradebook, there is no "out of [total # of points]" -- not even "out of 0." How do I make the quiz out of the correct number of points?

Thanks!

6 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi cls191 Welcome to the Canvas Community.  I think it would help to have a bit more information from you.  Can you help answer these questions...

• What types of questions are in your quiz?  Multiple choice?  True/False?  Fill-in-the-Blank?  etc.
  • Have you checked to ensure that each question in your quiz has a point value associated with it?  If that is the case, then the quiz should total up the number of possible points for your quiz automatically.
  • When you go to your "Grades" page and look at the column for your quiz, is this where you're not seeing the "out of" total?  It might help to see a screen shot of your Gradebook, but you'd need to hide any identifying information about students in your course.
  • If you go into the SpeedGrader for this quiz, are you seeing anything there on the right side of the screen?  Do you see "out of" wording with the total possible points?

Hope to hear back from you soon on this, Nellie!

cls191
Community Member

Hi Chris,

Thanks for your response! Here is some more information:

The quiz is fill-in-the-blank, as are all the other quizzes that are working correctly.

There are 5 questions, each 0.5 points. The total should be 2.5, but that isn't showing up anywhere. Here are screenshots of the gradebook (with two correct quizzes for comparison) and the right-hand column in Speedgrader.260448_canvas1.png

260449_canvas2.png

cls191
Community Member

Here is another screenshot. This is on the quiz page itself. It says the total points are 2.5, but that's not showing up anywhere else.260537_canvas3.png

chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi cls191...

That's pretty strange.  To confirm, have you compared the settings in the first quiz, "LISTENING QUIZ 1: Early Eightee..." to that of one of the other two quizzes that you've shown in your above screen shot?  Also, when you go to your "Assignments" page and click on the cog/gear wheel to the right of your Assignment Group called "Online Listening Quizzes", do you see anything in there that might be causing this first one to not show the points properly?  Ultimately, you may need to contact someone at the Canvas Help Desk about this, but let's keep looking at these things first.

cls191
Community Member

Hi Chris,

Everything in the settings of all the quizzes is identical. Same result clicking on the cog wheel in Assignments. It seems like it might be a bug. Thanks for all your help!

Nellie

klundstrum
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi cls191‌,

It's been a few months since you've last updated the Canvas Community about your quiz scores. I hope everything is going well and that you found a solution! For now, I'm going to mark this thread as "Assumed Answered" but it will not prevent you or any other Canvas Community member from commenting!