cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Why is my Roll Call attendance not working? ("error loading your section")

Jump to solution

Hello, I am using Canvas on a school domain (Cleveland Metropolitan School District). In my new course for the fourth quarter, Roll Call attendance does not load on my teacher account saying "There was an error loading your section. Please try re-launching the tool." Even if I reload the tool, it still does not load. My colleagues are having the same issue. Roll Call still works in our older classes. I contacted my district helpdesk and they told me to contact my administrator, my principal, and he has no idea how to troubleshoot the issue.

Interestingly, my Canvas administrator can see and use the attendance tool on the course.

What can I do to get this fixed? Any assistance on resolving the issue would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

WOLFAL01​ - do you have the Help link on the top right in your Canvas instance? If so, my recommendation would be to go to Roll Call in your course and then click on the Help link and "Report a Problem." This way - depending on how support is managed at your school - there is a clear record of the problem and it can be escalated to Canvas Support. In many cases we've found when this happens it seems to work itself out later in the day - sorry, know that doesn't help much!

View solution in original post

13 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

WOLFAL01​ - do you have the Help link on the top right in your Canvas instance? If so, my recommendation would be to go to Roll Call in your course and then click on the Help link and "Report a Problem." This way - depending on how support is managed at your school - there is a clear record of the problem and it can be escalated to Canvas Support. In many cases we've found when this happens it seems to work itself out later in the day - sorry, know that doesn't help much!

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Member

Thank you kona@richland.edu​. I did find the button and I submitted a ticket over a week ago and did not receive a confirmation. I also went straight to my institution's helpdesk email address and they told me to contact my school administrator who as I mentioned is my principal and not a tech person. Is there a way to verify that the ticket actually went to a human being and will be properly forwarded to Canvas if necessary? I doubt this issue is going to work itself out later in the day since it has been over a week since we found the issue.

Highlighted

That's not good.sadpanda​

Let's see if we can get some extra help!

jkocher@ufl.edu​, biray@instructure.com​, scottd@instructure.com​ - is there another way for WOLFAL01​ to get in touch with Canvas tech support? Thanks!

Highlighted

Hi Alex,

I see your ticket that you filed on the 14th.  It is currently sitting with your institution's admin and has not be escalated to Canvas support.

Looking in your course we can also replicate the issue you are seeing with attendance.

We will escalate this ticket to Canvas Support.

Thanks,

Scott

Highlighted
Highlighted

Thank you both so much. I really appreciate it!

Highlighted

Scott Dennis wrote:

Hi Alex,

I see your ticket that you filed on the 14th.  It is currently sitting with your institution's admin and has not be escalated to Canvas support.

Looking in your course we can also replicate the issue you are seeing with attendance.

We will escalate this ticket to Canvas Support.

Thanks,

Scott

Off-topic, but after a day full of thinking about the new community vs the old, I think this is a perfect example of the true power of the new community. Look at what comes from a higher level of engagement and useful features such as tagging people. So awesome! lovejive

Highlighted

Adam,

That just became my status update.  Smiley Happy

Highlighted

I've suddenly experienced the same issue.  Other instructors using this feature in our institution have seen no interruption of service.  Any progress on tracking down the cause and solution?