cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Community Member

Why is the Visibility Icon activated?

We turned on the new gradebook and several of our instructors are seeing the Visibility icon active for select courses. It's the orange eyeball icon, BTW.

They didn't turn off grades for those assignment, so what setting triggers that function to be turned on? Is it something in the way the assignment was created?

15 Replies
Highlighted
Community Member

Curious, myself!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello swilson34@mchenry.edu...

Have you had a chance to review the Canvas Release Notes and this video: ?  You may find your answer in these documents.  Hope this helps, Stephanie.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

OK, I read the notes. What do they mean by Manually posted? If an instructor has paper quizzes and manually posts the grades, but does have the default set to automatically post grades in the course settings, will they still be hidden?

That seems to be what's happening to us here.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

I also have a few additional questions to how this Posting Policy works.

It says it's a replacement to the "mute" grades options. I saw that "Manual Post Grades" will hide the grades until ALL grades are posted. However, when using "Automatically Post Grades" I cannot "Hide Grades" for a specified column at will unless there is a score in there already. However, there are also times where the option to hide is NOT available at all for some columns. 

The visual triggers are a little confusing still...

Highlighted
Community Member

We are seeing another odd behavior. We turned the new gradebook off and one of our instructors has muted assignments which were not previously muted. We are working with that instructor to unmute them. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Surveyor

We are also seeing this issue. In several instructor's gradebooks, on assignment columns that were previously NOT muted, we find the orange eye icon showing that a certain number of grades are hidden. We click "Post" and that removes the icon. Do we have to do this for every gradebook column that has the eye icon? Something seems off.

Highlighted

I found this same thing!  It feels random!  The only thing I can think of is that I did change my settings to automatically consider unsubmitted assignments as "0%"...I'm not sure if changing that setting set off this randomness of hidden assignments (some are month-old assignments!)  But...frustrating nonetheless...it would be one thing if it were only something for the instructors to contend with, but it also disturbs the student's view and ability to take quizzes I assign as they are designated to be taken (If I allow 2 attempts, for example, it won't let them see their 1st attempt score before I "post" the grade, which is not practical and totally counteracts the function of that quiz feature).  

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Community Member

In my course, this just happened this week right in the middle of the summer session.  It is random and all throughout my gradebook.  It also did not impact all students on the assignments that are now muted.  It muted some assignments that had already been showing and others that have not been submitted; it is just random!  It has to be a bug.

Highlighted

I found the same thing!  It's like I wake up each morning and there are new icons on old assignments, ha!

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels