Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tjosten
Community Member

Why is the "missing" alert showing?

Jump to solution

Missing

This "missing" alert is showing in a student's grades, but the assignment was not missing and has been graded. Is there a way to omit the "missing" alert?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Teresa,

As noted in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-09-25), we've made a change for the student Grades page and submission details page. This change applies to anyone not currently using the New Gradebook as part of the New Gradebook Focus Group (as announced at InstructureCon). We were unaware that so many instructors allowed online assignments to also be submitted in person (on paper). Unfortunately Canvas does not yet know how to distinguish that option. The New Gradebook will ultimately let you control the labels for each assignment and also include some additional tools as well. For now we hope this change in the standard Gradebook will help alleviate student concerns about missing assignments.

Thanks!

Erin 

View solution in original post

16 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @tjosten ‌...

In looking at the latest Canvas Production Release Notes (2017-08-05) document, this section https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-11967#jive_content_id_Late_and_Missing_Status_Labels says:

If an assignment has not been submitted by the due date, the assignment is identified as missing.

I'm wondering if your assignment has a due date and if the student submitted the assignment on time.  If your student did submit the assignment on time, then it may be worth contacting the Help Desk folks at Instructure to see if they can help identify why you're still seeing this label.

I hope this helps, Teresa.

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi Teresa,

I checked with the engineers and this change should apply to all previous assignments, and if a student submitted a missing assignment after the due date, the status changes to marked as late instead of missing. If you're positive that the student actually submitted the assignment and it's still showing as missing, I'd definitely recommend submitting a support case so our support team can investigate.

Thanks,

Erin

?Thanks Erin

Teresa Josten,

Pierce College Puyallup

The Puyallup Post adviser and

communication studies/journalism instructor

Phone: 253-912-2399 ext 8509

keatinaj
Surveyor

I have a similar question - but a different problem.  

Whenever we do an assignment in-class (in person), I allow students to turn in on paper or via Canvas. This has become a problem with the new "missing" label because students who turn in the assignment in-class see a "missing" label. This even happens after I have already awarded them full points. 

Does anyone know if there is a way to turn off the "missing" feature? It would prevent a lot of confusion. 

Hi, Amanda,

Canvas only knows how to treat an assignment according to its submission designation. If you set the assignment as online, Canvas is looking for online submissions and there isn't a way to disable the missing label.

The missing label is ultimately part of Gradebook Enhancements, so I'd recommend seeing if there is a related feature idea (or submit a new one) so our product department knows how you are using assignment submissions. For more information about feature ideas see Priority: Gradebook Enhancements.

Hope that helps!

Erin 

I cannot find the feature requested by Amanda. Just the feature request to add "missing" in Canvas in Missing Assignment Tag in Gradebook. So I vote it down...

This is driving me and my students CRAZY!!!

e02175
Surveyor

I'm replying to both Amanda and Teresa.  My students are finding this new features very frustrating and confusing.  Even after they turn it in...it has those words in big red letters.  And I also allow online or paper submissions.  Maybe Canvas should look into making it an option to turn that off!!! Especially with things like personalized learning getting traction, Due Dates can be troublesome. 

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Teresa,

As noted in the Canvas Beta Release Notes (2017-09-25), we've made a change for the student Grades page and submission details page. This change applies to anyone not currently using the New Gradebook as part of the New Gradebook Focus Group (as announced at InstructureCon). We were unaware that so many instructors allowed online assignments to also be submitted in person (on paper). Unfortunately Canvas does not yet know how to distinguish that option. The New Gradebook will ultimately let you control the labels for each assignment and also include some additional tools as well. For now we hope this change in the standard Gradebook will help alleviate student concerns about missing assignments.

Thanks!

Erin 

View solution in original post