cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
viridiana_benav
Community Member

Why is the rubric button missing from my assignment?

I created assignments which require students to complete/turn in work via external tools (google classroom and flipgrid).  Why can't I add a rubric to these assignments?  The rubric button does not appear.  Would I be able to utilize speed grader for these assignments or do I have to grade them through the external tool?  If I grade them through the tool, will the grades transfer to Canvas?

4 Replies
chofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello  @viridiana_benav ...

When you assign an external LTI app such as Google Apps or Flipgrid to an assignment, the ability to add rubric goes away.  The trick to this, however, is to first create your assignment like normal but not add the external tool right away.  Instead, save the assignment, and then add the rubric like normal.  How do I add a rubric to an assignment?  Then, after you have added the rubric to the assignment, edit the assignment details, and then choose the external tool that you want to use.  Once you save the assignment details, the rubric will disappear, but it will still technically be there.  You can confirm this by going to the SpeedGrader for the assignment, and then you should be able to display the rubric for assignment grading.  How do I use a rubric to grade submissions in SpeedGrader?

Not all external LTI apps have a connection back to the Canvas Gradebook.  Depending on the LTI app you are using, you may be able to pass grades back from that app to the Canvas Gradebook, but this isn't always true for every LTI.

I hope this helps, Viridiana.  Please let Community members know if you have any other questions about this.  Take care...stay safe...be well.

I followed the directions, and sure enough my Rubric disappeared again. I can view the Rubric if I'm in Speedgrader, but will my students be able to see the Rubric as they work on their assignment?

Hello @mulrich1 ...

Many apologies for the delay in responding to you.  As long as you follow the directions I provided above, then your students will still be able to view the rubric that you included for that assignment.  Please check out this Guide: How do I view the rubric for my external tool assignment?.

I hope this will be of help to you.  Take care, stay safe, and be well.

rpsimon
Lamplighter

Instead of Google Classroom, why not try Google Assignments LTI?  There is grade pass back with Canvas for this.  Just want to make sure you are aware of this feature....

Use Assignments LTI with Canvas - Assignments Help 

How Assignments works - Assignments Help