cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Why is there a page in my Assignment Index?

Jump to solution

I've got a Page showing up in my Assignment Index:

291045_pastedImage_1.png

Homework 12, part 1 is an assignment, Homework 12, part 2 is a quiz, and Discussion Schedule is a page.

I don't know how Discussion Schedule got there, or exactly how long ago but I don't know how to get it off my Assignment Index without deleting it: I made a duplicate of the "Discussion Schedule" page within the Pages Index and the duplicate also showed up on my Assignment Index. I then deleted the duplicate from the Assignment Index and it also deleted it from the Pages Index.

Fortunately, this doesn't show up for the students, but it's annoying to have this extraneous page link in the middle of my Assignment Index.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Surveyor

Figured it out: somehow when the page got edited, the "Allow in mastery paths" box got checked. When I unchecked the "Allow in mastery paths" box, the page disappeared off the Assignments index.

What's frustrating about this is

1) I don't used mastery paths in any way (so I would never have intentionally checked that box)

2) There is (as far as I can tell) no way for me to see that a page has had the "Allow in mastery paths" checkbox checked except by opening the page for editing, e.g., I can't tell from looking at the page itself or the Pages index what, if anything, has been "allowed in mastery paths"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi hasti@cs.wisc.edu...

I'm not sure I have an answer for you, but I went into my own sandbox course, and lo and behold, I also had what looked like a "page" in my "Assignments" index page.  So, I clicked on it to look at the details.  The URL of that "page" actually indicated that it was somehow an assignment: /courses/338/assignments/303387

There wasn't any content in the item (no directions for students, no attached rubric...nothing).  So for me, I feel safe deleting it from my course if I so choose.  When I looked at my "Pages" index page, I had an item with the same exact name, but that one actually did have content in it, and it was a "page" ... not an "assignment".  So, even though they both had the same name, they were in fact different content items.

You may want to check your "page" that's living in your "Assignments" index page to compare things as well.  I tried racking my brain to figure out how I got to do that, but I'm coming up empty.  😞

Highlighted

Thanks chofer@morainepark.edu ,

The page that is showing up in the Assignments index page is the actual page, i.e., there is only one copy of the "Discussion Schedule" page:

• when I hover over the link, it does show me a URL with /assignments/ in it but when I click the link, it takes me to a URL with /pages/ in it
  • when I go through the Assignments index page link and modify the page, that modification appears everywhere the page from Pages was linked
  • when I went into Pages and made a duplicate of "Discussion Schedule", the "Discussion Schedule copy" showed up both in Pages (which is expected) and in the Assignments index (which it should not). When I then deleted the copy from the Assignments index, the copy was also deleted from the Pages index.
Highlighted
Surveyor

Figured it out: somehow when the page got edited, the "Allow in mastery paths" box got checked. When I unchecked the "Allow in mastery paths" box, the page disappeared off the Assignments index.

What's frustrating about this is

1) I don't used mastery paths in any way (so I would never have intentionally checked that box)

2) There is (as far as I can tell) no way for me to see that a page has had the "Allow in mastery paths" checkbox checked except by opening the page for editing, e.g., I can't tell from looking at the page itself or the Pages index what, if anything, has been "allowed in mastery paths"

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
Top Kudoed Authors
Labels