Why is there no discussion board tagging/mentioning ability?

Jump to solution
ryann_craig
Community Novice

Why can't students @ mention each other in replies and then get notifications when they are @ mentioned on discussion boards? I want students to (a) not have to subscribe and get 80 notifications when they really need 4 and (b) be able to draw in multiple voices in their reply, so that they can have, you know, actual discussions. 

I see this as an "open for voting" concept in Ideas from 2018. This is now a critical priority for fall 2020 if/when all of our classroom discussions are based in Canvas. 

As I type this, I see this is quite literally an option on this forum, with "@ Mention" and "# Tag" in the top right toolbar... 

1 Solution
Chris_Hofer
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there,  @ryann_craig ...

I can certainly understand the want/need for mentioning people in Discussion topics within Canvas courses...similar to what you can currently do here in the Canvas Community.  While I don't have an explanation as to why this isn't a feature of Canvas, I can tell you that this is a pretty popular request by Community members.  Take a look at this Feature Idea: https://community.canvaslms.com/ideas/1066-mentions-in-discussion-forums" modifiedtitle="true" title....  It is still open for voting (which isn't the only way that Instructure gets feedback, by the way).  If you feel that this Feature Idea aligns with something you'd like to see implemented in Canvas, I would encourage you to vote on it and add your feedback to the bottom of that thread letting Canvas software engineers know why this would be important to you.

I know this might not completely answer your question, Ryann...but I do hope it has helped in some way.  Stay safe, and be well.

View solution in original post