Why is typing in math equations different in assignments and new quizzes?

Jump to solution
fritzs
Community Explorer

When I use the math quill tool in assignments, I have to use the LaTex tool to create certain functions but it works like it does in word processing programs.  I cannot figure out how to create the same exact formulas in New Quizzes.  For example I want to create a line segment AB.  In assignments, I click "show advanced" and type \overscore{AB} and it shows correctly.  In New Quizzes, I type the same thing and (annoyingly) I cannot see if the formula looks right (and it does not) until after I save.  I am I missing something as to why they would function differently?

0 Likes
1 Solution
James
Community Champion

@fritzs  

New Quizzes is a separate program than Canvas (it's an external tool) and has a different equation editor than the Rich Content Editor, which is used extensively throughout Canvas.

MathQuill is the basic editor for the New Quizzes, not Classic Quizzes. There is no advanced view for New Quizzes, you type the content directly into the question, wrapped in \( and \) delimiters, which is awesome for those who type a lot of equations or who want to copy/paste content without having to go through and convert the content aftewards.

You are correct, though, that you cannot see what it looks like until after you save the question. That is something I would love to see improved.

Another change is that New Quizzes mathematical content is rendered using KaTeX and some things are rendered slightly differently than with Classic Quizzes (see example at bottom of this post). MathJax is used with Classic Quizzes.

For what it's worth, \overscore{AB} does not work in New Quizzes or Classic Quizzes: it should be \overline{AB} or perhaps \overline{\mathrm{AB}}

The \mathrm{} makes it use a Roman (non-italic) font in math mode. Some people also use \text{} as it's quicker to type than \mathrm{}, but it does kick you out of math mode.

Here is a rendering of \overline{AB} ~~~ \overline\mathrm{AB} with both engines.

Classic Quizzes:

350378_pastedImage_18.png

New Quizzes:

350379_pastedImage_19.png

View solution in original post