cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor II

Will Instructure update the Turnitin Legacy integration when new Turnitin APIs become available?

Jump to solution

Currently, campuses using Turnitin with Canvas have two integration options -- LTI, and/or the "Legacy" integration which enables Turnitin Originality Check reports as a feature of Canvas' Assignments tool. My understanding is that the Legacy integration was developed and is maintained by Instructure, and that this Legacy integration is dependent on Turnitin APIs which will be deprecated sometime in the next six-twelve months (outlined by Turnitin at Turnitin - API & Integration Plans). This page includes some detailed information about LMS "Integrations Developed by the Turnitin Team," but does not include Canvas (presumably because this integration was developed by Instructure, and not Turnitin?)

The Turnitin API and Integration plans page linked above state that the current Turnitin Legacy APIs will be replaced with "a variety of new toolsets for integrations...including SDKs and new APIs". Although these SDKs/APIs have not yet been released, so their full functionality is still unknown, I would think that there is a possibility for Instructure to update the current "Legacy" integration to maintain its existing functionality while using the new APIs. My question for Instructure is: will you be working to utilize these new APIs to maintain the current Turnitin integrations, or will Canvas support for Turnitin shift to the LTI tool exclusively?

My campus has a preference for the Legacy integration for a variety of reasons, but may begin to shift our resources towards LTI integration if that's our only path forward with Canvas and Turnitin. However, my hope is that Instructure will leverage the new Turnitin APIs to maintain the current deep integration between Canvas Assignments and Turnitin.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Steven, I can't speak with certainty on behalf of our Canvas Product team on the Legacy integration, but as I do represent the Partnerships and Platform (LTI) teams I can comment as far as our plans moving forward with their LTI integration. In the coming months (after InstructureCon), my team will be working with Turnitin closely to enhance Canvas' LTI capabilities to provide better integration functionality for Turnitin's LTI tool. We will be doing this work in an attempt to enrich the current integration in preparation for the deprecation of the current Turnitin API.

My understanding in talking with Turnitin, there will not be an option for us to update our Legacy Canvas plugin so all users will need to transition to the LTI tool. Our hope is with the work we do together we can minimize the impact and provide the functionality our mutual customers are looking for. We have a commitment with Turnitin they will not shutoff the API feeding our Legacy Canvas plugin without users having enough time to transition. Look for more information in the coming months.

I hope this answers your question.

View solution in original post

21 Replies
Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

Hi stevenwilliams@berkeley.edu

I'm not sure if you found this awesome resource yet from dhulsey@nmjc.edu​, but you might want to check it out Canvas and Turnitin

Also, we're working on getting an answer to your question!

Highlighted
Instructure
Instructure

Steven, I can't speak with certainty on behalf of our Canvas Product team on the Legacy integration, but as I do represent the Partnerships and Platform (LTI) teams I can comment as far as our plans moving forward with their LTI integration. In the coming months (after InstructureCon), my team will be working with Turnitin closely to enhance Canvas' LTI capabilities to provide better integration functionality for Turnitin's LTI tool. We will be doing this work in an attempt to enrich the current integration in preparation for the deprecation of the current Turnitin API.

My understanding in talking with Turnitin, there will not be an option for us to update our Legacy Canvas plugin so all users will need to transition to the LTI tool. Our hope is with the work we do together we can minimize the impact and provide the functionality our mutual customers are looking for. We have a commitment with Turnitin they will not shutoff the API feeding our Legacy Canvas plugin without users having enough time to transition. Look for more information in the coming months.

I hope this answers your question.

View solution in original post

Highlighted

Hi karl@instructure.com​ - I am following up here from this discussion - Canvas and Turnitin​. In prepping for the coming move to LTI, I did ask some specific questions of Turnitin regarding missing functionality in the current version of the tool. I wanted to share their response here, so we can make sure what they say will be happening actually happens! Smiley Wink

Questions and responses listed below:

Limit file type of submissions?

LTI does not offer this ability

Use Group Assignment setting?

LTI does not offer this ability

Copy Canvas assignment settings forward for due dates and points?

They are aware of it and working with Canvas to improve the LTI integration by the end of the year to make it more intuitive.

Integration with existing Canvas rubrics?

They are aware of it and working with Canvas to improve the LTI integration by the end of the year to make it more intuitive.

Kind of vague responses - hoping that "make it more intuitive" means that we will be seeing changes and not just help icons explaining what's missing!

Thank you!

Highlighted

FYI to the group. Our first phase of expanded support for the Turnitin LTI tool will be going into production this weekend with the product release. The Turnitin LTI tool will be integrated with Speedgrader and the gradebook to provide parity between the LTI tool and our Canvas plugin. When students submit their papers in Turnitin a copy will be sent to Canvas, along with the original report info and presented inside of Speedgrader. In the next release, we are planning to support synching of due dates in the Canvas assignment with Turnitin during the LTI launch and be able to provide indicators to the status of the originality report.

To address, some of the questions. Limiting the types of file submissions would need to be a setting determined by Turnitin as the papers are originally being submitted to their system. Group assignments and LTI is something we have been talking about for some time as an area we would like to enhance, but we do not have any concrete plans to work on this in the near future. The issue with Canvas rubrics is something Canvas needs to address and also is an area we would like to look at in the future to avoid the known work around. This will require some changes in the Assignments workflow, but it is something we are aware of and would like to work with the appropriate team internally to resolve. Again, I don't have a timeline to provide at this time.

Highlighted

Hi Karl,

Integrating the Turnitin drop box with SpeedGrader will eliminate a lot of complaint calls from instructors who were using the LTI version. Was this enhancement noted somewhere? I checked the last production release notes but I did not see Turnitin mentioned. Can you please include these changes in the release notes or in the admin notifications? I happen to stumble across this page when I was trying to find out more about the Turnitin API and LTI situation.

0 Kudos
Highlighted

Hi, Elisabeth! I can't speak for Karl, but I do maintain a blog post here in the canvas community about Turnitin that you can take a look at: Canvas and Turnitin​. I hope that helps!

Highlighted

Hi Dallas,

Thank you very much. You compiled a lot of great information. Definitely following! Smiley Happy

Highlighted

Hi karl@instructure.com​ - thanks for this update! However, I am not seeing the Turnitin results within Speedgrader...am I missing something? I do see an option to view the Paper View now, which I don't think I saw before. But not seeing any Turnitin results displayed there...should I?

Thanks!!

Highlighted

Crista, you should see the originality score in Speedgrader on the right hand side once Turnitin has finished processing the submission.

99056_pastedImage_0.png

The colored icon with the score percentage is a link that when selected will launch you into Turnitin to review the originality report details. We are working on providing the status within Speedgrader so you can see the status of the originality report. This will be coming in a future release. Most likely the one after next if all of our testing works out.

Labels