cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
lynda_mae
Community Member

Will New Gradebook Handle Autograded Extra Credit?

Will the new gradebook be able to handle extra credit for autograded assignments?  Currently, these points (EC questions at the end of an exam, for instance), are counted in required points for autoscored quizzes in both the old and new gradebook.  Understand that those of us who teach large enrollment courses (mine is 1200 students) cannot assign EC unless it is autograded.  Because of this glitch in Canvas our students are getting inaccurate performance feedback throughout the semester.  Additionally, we (faculty) cannot use the export grades function at the end of the semester, because it is assigning grades based on the inaccurate required points!  In Bb, we could make a quiz worth 50 required points and put 53 one-point questions in it.  Please, please fix this in Canvas before the we switch to the new gradebook (or sooner if possible).  Thank you so much! 

Tags (1)
5 Replies
erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Lynda,

Your question makes it sound like there's some behavior here that needs to be reviewed by our Canvas support team. Have you worked with them to triage the specific issue? I'd recommend submitting a case if you haven't so we can get more details as to what exactly is happening that is keeping you from your intended results. Our support team could then also get a view of your course and give you more specific feedback. You can request Canvas help by opening your Global Navigation Menu and clicking the Help link.

Thanks!

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi,  @lynda_mae ‌,

I wanted to check back and see if you were able to reach out to a support team to find additional information based on your workflow? Let us know if we can answer any other questions for you!

Erin

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

Hi, Lynda,

I hope you have found the answers you were looking for. I am going to mark this question as assumed answered. If you need additional assistance, please let us know!

Thanks,

Erin

tpavlic
Explorer II

@erinhmcmillan -- Why were you suggesting that @lynda_mae reach out to support? This is clearly not a support issue; it is a software development issue. Right now the only way to implement extra credit in Canvas (even in "New Quizzes") seems to be to manually grade quiz questions. Those of us in large courses cannot manually grade large numbers of extra credit questions. In other LMS's, it is easy to assign a separate total number of points to a quiz that is independent of the sum of the total points of the questions on that quiz. That allows for the score of the quiz to be greater than the total score, thereby allowing for auto-graded extra credit. Why can we still not do this with Canvas, even in the "New Quizzes"? 

erinhmcmillan
Community Team
Community Team

@tpavlic,

Hello! This question was asked in 2019, and because I cannot accurately gauge how the course is set up with point values, I cannot make a workaround to what she was trying to accomplish. The roadmap for New Quizzes is still in development. I found two related idea conversations where you may want to add your feedback (and subscribe so you can see when an update has been posted):

Thank you,

Erin