cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Surveyor

Will current question banks transfer in new Quiz LTI interface?

Jump to solution

I am not a beta tester, but I have used the Quiz Classic platform extensively.  (In other words, I have manually entered more than a thousand questions by hand into individual banks, since the importer was not an option.)  Will I be able to pull from these banks on the new platform?  Please tell me I will not have to retype these thousand questions again.  Please? Smiley Happy

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

According to the documentation, you can import any QTI file into the new platform: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12203-71670780901 

It doesn't look like (from the documentation) that they can be directly imported from a course yet. I'll bet they plan on adding that functionality at some point. So you should have to retype anything. It can be exported from the course and imported into the LTI according to that document I linked.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi aleveritt@mrapats.org

I believe that Jason Sparks has already assured us that some kind of mechanism for that will be included in the release. However you can learn more by participating in the https://community.canvaslms.com/groups/quizzes?sr=search&searchId=cde4f847-d577-4b73-b5c0-14488fd67b...

Kelley

Highlighted
Community Advocate
Community Advocate

According to the documentation, you can import any QTI file into the new platform: https://community.canvaslms.com/docs/DOC-12203-71670780901 

It doesn't look like (from the documentation) that they can be directly imported from a course yet. I'll bet they plan on adding that functionality at some point. So you should have to retype anything. It can be exported from the course and imported into the LTI according to that document I linked.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Coach
Community Coach

Hi aleveritt@mrapats.org.  I am part of the beta group for the new quizzing engine.  As kelley.meeusen@cptc.edu and Hanes.Matthew.B@muscogee.k12.ga.usmentioned, it sounds as though there will be a way developed to move questions from the current quiz system to Quizzes LTI.  A few weeks ago I was playing around in the new quiz interface and did find a way even now to move questions from the old to the new system.  I will include this below in case your institution becomes part of the beta group, you begin using Quizzes LTI before a simpler method is developed, or others who have a similar question read this thread.

When first attempting to transfer questions, I tried to export my quizzes from an existing Canvas course and use the "import content" feature of Quizzes LTI but this did not work (received an error message).  I found this discussion Download Question Banks into a Readable File Format‌ where kblack@dom.edu referenced this explanation by Stephanie Sanders on exporting quizzes, Export individual question banks.  

My next thought was to create a single quiz as Stephanie described by adding multiple question groups linking to each of my question banks.  When I exported this quiz and imported it into Quizzes LTI, I received a message that the import was successful but could not see any of the questions.  

I finally created a quiz in the current system and instead of creating question groups, I used the "find questions" feature to add all of the questions from my question banks to the quiz.  When I exported this quiz and imported it into a Quizzes LTI question bank, all of the questions came over.

Labels