Word Collaboration in Canvas

Jump to solution
magret
Community Member

Our students have access to Office365 via campus and have set up their accounts. I have set up groups in Canvas for the students to collaborate. We had a fiasco on Monday when students went into their groups, clicked on collaboration, selected for Office and Word and then were unable to create files or access other people's. A few completed the task successfully. A few said that they just kept trying over and over again until they got past the error message. One group had each student try to create a document until they found one that worked. They had better luck with a Google doc. I am hesitant to use that as I don't want to require students to create google accounts.... and we've paid for the Office access for students. Any ideas how to make this Canvas integration of Word useful? Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution
Bobby2
Community Champion

Hi @magret I could picture that so easily. Felt for you.

It seems that the very first time that some users open a collaboration they se the error message. To avoid that I have had them open office.com first in another tab, the open Canvas in another tab from where they access the collaboration. It seems to work fine then. BUT, it's a matter of managing that with multiple first timers. Might I suggest doing it with individuals or small groups first, or asking your TA for support? Even students are learning at home then instructions to parents to support will be essential.

Once Collaborations are up and running I LOVE them. It's just getting over the first hurdle that hurts. 

Sing out if you need a hand. 

View solution in original post