cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Word Document Uploaded - Little Squares / Dice in Place of Letters

I submitted a Word 2016 document (Mac) version to Canvas.  When my instructor opened it up in Canvas, on screen, little square or dice looking characters appeared for many letters.  I was using a standard font - Calibri size 10 and 12.  When I re-downloaded the file, there was no sign of the squares. 

2 Replies
Community Coach
Community Coach

I’m honestly not sure why this happens sometimes - maybe someone knows the why - but as a teacher your Instructor can choose to open up your file in word (instead of just Canvas) and see how it looks. At least for me the students file normally looks ok when I do this. 

Community Coach
Community Coach

Hello there, m_quaadgras@salemstate.edu...

As I was reviewing older questions here in the Canvas Community, I came across your question.  I noticed that we have not heard back from you since you first posted this question on December 10, 2017 and then received a response from kona@richland.edu‌ a day later.  Have you had an opportunity to review Kona's feedback?  Did her reply help to answer your question?  Were you able to figure out why those characters looked so different in the document?  If you feel that Kona's reply helped to answer your question, please feel free to mark her question as "Correct".  However, if you are still looking for some help with this question, please come back to this thread to post an update so that members of the Community might be able to assist you.  For now, I'm going to mark your question as "Assumed Answered", but that won't prevent you or others from posting additional questions and/or comments below that are related to this topic.  I hope that's alright with you, Marybeth.  Looking forward to hearing back from you soon.