Word text boxes become uneditable images when embedded in Canvas.

jchiamulera
Community Member

This has happened several times and I am trying to figure out a solution.

Background: I created a graphic organizer for my students in Word. I used several text boxes for questions with space for students to enter answers. I embed the document into my Canvas assignment.

Problem: When students try to enter text into the boxes they don't work. No cursor appears. They are frustrated.

Issues Checked:

1. I checked the assignment in Teacher mode and found that it looks like the text boxes are being treated as images when embedded into the Canvas course. You can resize the "image" of the text box, but it is acting like an image, not a editable text box.

2. If I go to edit in the desktop app mode, everything is back to normal and works fine. Now, many will say then, "Just tell them to do that." That is a problem because it becomes a waste of time for myself and my students to embed the document since it doesn't operate the way it should and then have to edit it in the Client app. Also, some students work off of tablets and phones without access to a laptop with Office installed.

3. All browsers are up to date on students side. All are using either Chrome or Firefox.