cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Learner II

Your ideas of Canvas' best kept secrets

Hi,

I am curious if you would please share your ideas for Canvas' best kept secrets. If you have a workshop coming up for faculty and you want them to say, "Wow, I didn't know you could do that," what would you share with them?  We are past the basics (e.g. embedding audio/video with the media comment tool).

Thanks in advance.

Julie

140 Replies
Highlighted

No it doesn't , having to leave the grade book to go to the inbox to send a message is time consuming and inefficient. There needs to be an option to send a message to one or two students from the grade book. Blackboard does it quite well.

Sent from my iPhone

Highlighted

Yes this feature is great!

Highlighted
Community Member

Hi Julie! Something I show instructor often that surprises them - the "Move To..." option in Modules (as opposed to clicking and dragging):

162813_Move.gif

Such a small thing, but such a big timesaver!

Highlighted

Thank you for the reminder!  That is such a great way to move items.  Sometimes users cannot control the mouse as efficiently as they would like! 

Highlighted
Community Member

Based on the responses I get when I describe the feature, many of our faculty don't realize they can create question banks along with quizzes that pull a random number of questions from said banks. This always comes up when I talk about formative assessment strategies.

This thread could be interesting - almost like a bulleted list of training session ideas. Thank you to everyone who responds!  🙂

Highlighted

We have had some difficulty creating testbanks, but we found that when you import the quiz as a qti it automatically goes into the testbank. Just a little FYI for those who might also have noticed this problem.

Highlighted

I am new.  How do you create the banks?

Highlighted

Hey brijones@harrison.k12.ms.us​, check out How do I create a question bank in my course?​ That will get you started. Then check out the "Related Content" area at the bottom of that guide for other relevant guides. If you need any help don't hesitate to ask a question in the Find Answers​ space (How do I ask a question in the Community?​).

Highlighted
Community Team
Community Team

julie.magadan@phoenixcollege.edu​, I just thought of a few more:

(1) Using rubrics for assignment grading: You'd think that once you create a rubric and attach it to an assignment, it would populate the grade field in the SpeedGrader--right? Wrong! After you create your rubric and attach it to its assignment(s), you still have to edit the rubric to enable the checkbox "Use this rubric for assignment grading." See: How do I use a Rubric to grade an Assignment?

(2) Editing rubrics: In the same vein, when someone tries to edit a rubric that is already attached to more than one assignment, a scary warning message pops up. After you think a bit about what you're doing, you can generally ignore it and carry on. Smiley Wink

(3) SpeedGrader settings: Many teachers don't realize how powerful the Settings link in the SpeedGrader is. I use it to make sure that only assignments that need grading bubble up to the top so I can go through submissions in order without having to navigate through students who haven't yet submitted. See: How do I sort Assignments in SpeedGrader?

Highlighted

You are such a gem...!    This will speed up my grading for certain.    

2-8-2016 1-42-53 PM.jpg