cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Surveyor

Zero grades act like submissions

Jump to solution

I allow my students the entire week to submit assignments. When they fail to do so in the week an assignment is given, I put 0 in the grade book until they complete the assignment.

My question is does this automatically indicate to Canvas that there has been a submission? It seems that students have access to assignments that have a prerequisite assignment in front of it even though they haven't submitted it. 

In a related question, if they don't respond to a discussion board question, and they receive a 0, it seems that Canvas does not count their first submission as an assignment for me to grade. I just had a student who had to tell me that I had not graded his discussion board submission. Sure enough, he was assigned a 0 because it was late, so I was never notified he had a submission.

How can I fix either of these issues?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Community Coach
Community Coach

lori_campbell@khsd.k12.ca.us, are you manually putting in a zero in the gradebook or are you using the new gradebook and having this done automatially?

For your first question, in the past, no, Canvas didn't count a zero as a submission. I'll be honest I haven't checked this recently or with the new gradebook, but in the past this is what I recommended - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona@richland.edu/blog/2017/05/11/bypassing-requirementsprere... 

For your second question, I know that if you don't put in a zero, it does notify you that you have something to grade. I've never ran into the issue you're having, but honestly can't remember if I've ever put in a zero and then had a student submit. If you're using the new gradebook, I wonder if this has something to do with it. My recommendation for this one is to submit it to Canvas Support to see what they have to say.

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Community Coach
Community Coach

lori_campbell@khsd.k12.ca.us, are you manually putting in a zero in the gradebook or are you using the new gradebook and having this done automatially?

For your first question, in the past, no, Canvas didn't count a zero as a submission. I'll be honest I haven't checked this recently or with the new gradebook, but in the past this is what I recommended - https://community.canvaslms.com/people/kona@richland.edu/blog/2017/05/11/bypassing-requirementsprere... 

For your second question, I know that if you don't put in a zero, it does notify you that you have something to grade. I've never ran into the issue you're having, but honestly can't remember if I've ever put in a zero and then had a student submit. If you're using the new gradebook, I wonder if this has something to do with it. My recommendation for this one is to submit it to Canvas Support to see what they have to say.

Hope this helps! Kona

View solution in original post